e34 knocking noise from engine - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 04:02 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
Hey all, i have a strange knocking noise that seems to speed up as you rev the engine. It happens in all gears, it seems repetitive, almost like a belt, but is originating from under the shroud on the engine (From what i can tell) What could this be? A simple tune up issue? A serious engine problem?

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 12:06 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
This suggestion may sound dumb but did you check the oil level?? Any oils leaks?? Also, is it like a pinning sound?? This is caused by cheap gas...

LOS
#3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 03:29 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
our mechanic checked the oil when it was in for inspection today, he said it was fine... its more of a knocking sound..

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
#4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:33 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
check your fan clutch... they make ODD noises....

#5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
D3...by "shroud" do you mean around the fan shroud? I would look to the water pump. The a/c compressor can make a knocking sound when going bad, try turning the a/c off while the engine is running and see if that helps. Could also be a belt tensioner. Other possibilities range from rod knock, main knock, oil pump, rocker arm/shaft... is it very loud, more of a high-pitched knocked/rattle sound, deep knock felt throughout the car...? Can you give a little more detail? Like when it started happening and under what conditions like hard acceleration, upon startup etc.

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
#6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

silverlea is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a similar situation and yes it was our old friend .....the water-pump.
Low octane fuel could cause detonation,which sound like your description.
Are you sure nothing is catching on the bottom of the radiator shroud.If your water-pump is stuffed,remember the fan runs on the same bearing,rite into the pump and it will be all wobbly cos the shaft the fan is mounted goes into that waterpump bearing..............therefore if the fan is not running true,it could well be catching the bottom of the shroud each revolution.
trust you get it sorted.
Good Luck.

SILVERLEA.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 02:49 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
By shroud, i was referring to the engine shroud. However, there are two cracks in the fan shroud. As soon as i see the car again, i will start to look at the fan clutch and see if that is the issue. It isnt the air conditioner, as i had it turned off and the knock persisted, its not really a knock you can feel, its just a sound as far as i can tell. Its a "light-moderate" knocking sound, not very high pitched, and not very low pitched. It also doesnt sound hollow at all. I cant tell you when it started happening, as i just got the car two days ago.

On another note, my mechanic told me today that my front end is "a mess", and i already need 1600 in repairs. He suggested a *gasp* dealer take a look at the car as far as the engine noise goes. I avoid my dealer like the plauge as a general rule.

BTW, sp0rky, where did you get that wood trim for your center console? (the part for the AC/Radio/computer). mine was mangled in a failed attempt to install a CD player properly, and the piece around my shifter needs replacing as well

#8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 06:17 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
It was a kit i got off of ebay... i think it was 119.00 and the fit was pretty good... but there were a few small issues with it. not bad for the price at all though.

About the fan clutch.. I know it sounds wierd, but mine makes this noise like a belt slipping sometimes.. at other times it sounds like its hitting my radiator or something.. its kind of crazy... its always making a wierd noise... just sharing my experience.

BTW: is this e34 your new one? the 95??

#9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 01:45 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Sp0rky, that dash looks sweet dude, i really like it. Im gonna try to get one ASAP.

Now i need more information on the repairs. Right now im praying for detonation. But i want to be prepared for any eventualities.

As far as the fan clutch goes, how hard is it to replace? is it something i could do in my driveway? I'm looking at this as an option for the replacement. http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrad...trical_fan.htm

Is this a good option? It seems like a fairly simple install, are there any problems with this setup or has anyone had experience doing something like this before?

Next, i'd be looking at the water pump, It sounds like a more difficult project, what is involved? How hard is it? Is it practicable to DIY? What will be needed and how much will it cost me?

Also, I'd be interested in the oil pump. The thought of this worries me, as it sounds like a major undertaking, Once again, Difficulty? Practical? How much will it cost?

As far as the other repairs go, (rod knock, main knock, rocker arm/shaft) I really need more information on exactly what is involved. As of right now im unsure as to exactly what components these are involved in and what they do, they do not sound like cheap repairs however.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)