E34 Heavy Studder, No power - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
JoeMadoo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
E34 Heavy Studder, No power

Hi everyone, I'm a hardcore E30 guy so I'm a little new to the 5 series area. I have a '93 E34 525i. This car has NOOO power whatsoever under about 2500 RPM's, once it gets past that its ok. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes I cant accelerate at all, and forget about using the A/C. Idle is rough also. The spark plug wires look fairly new, I haven't tested them yet though. And i was told that this car passed the compression test, although that probably has nothing to do with this.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

JoeMadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to JoeMadoo Send a message via MSN to JoeMadoo Send a message via Yahoo to JoeMadoo
Also does anyone know how to get the fault codes out of these babys? I tried with the key on, engine off, depressing the gas pedal 5 times in 5 seconds, and nothing seemed to happen, so maby i did it wrong.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Anybody?

Old 05-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
The 525 has no power... Thats something thats somewhat normal.
As for wires, the wires rarely go bad, you need to be checking each individual ignition coil, the plugs, fuel injectors, etc. There are so many sensors that could also be checked. One thing that is a possibility in your case is a cat. converter. Do the rev's climb easy and trouble free?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Most of the time, it stublems heavily below 2000. When it gets above that its revs up quick. It also seems to run worse when its warm, also. How does this ignition system differ from the M20 engines? Excuse my idiotness :-P

Old 05-20-2006, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
This ignition system doesn't use a distributor cap / rotor and single ignition coil. It has an independant coil per cylinder. There are tons of differences with the whole engine, really... even the fuel injection is entirely different.

If it's stumbling below 2k rpm, it COULD be a bad coil or two, bad MAF, bad ICV (not too likely), fuel delivery, etc. It's really tough to tell you what to check first. I guess, its best to start off with the simple things.. check the coils, plugs and look for vacuum leaks.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for your help. Where are the coils? Are there any online manuals?

Old 05-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I found the individual coils, how do i test them?

Old 05-30-2006, 12:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 00 Prelude, 95 525i, 85 635CSi
Photos:
d3ity will become famous soon enoughd3ity will become famous soon enough
The 525i is a fairly gutless car as far as acceleration. That said, mine has certainly seen some crazy top end.....

Basically, you're looking at what ammounts to a tune up, pull the plugs, replace them, make sure that your valve cover isn't leaking into the plugs (you'll notice oil/around your plugs, and a valve tap from hell) make sure your airbox is clear, and that your exhaust isn't swiss cheese. After having a hole in my exhaust for a month, then replacing it, I'll tell you that an exhaust leak in that underpowered of a car turns it into a dog.

Although they're the automotive equivalent of a lazy fat chick, the e34 525i is still a nice car. It won't accelerate worth a damn, but still, I love em.

If you want to read codes, on the later model cars, go get a codereader, 125 bucks that gets rid of the guesswork in most of the stupid shit you'll encounter. Other than that, your airbox and air intake should be checked. I had a similar problem on my 6er, and replacing all the air intake hosing for 50 bucks, basically turned her back into sportscar. If the air intake hoses looks too old to be on your car, replace it, at least, thats the rule I go by.

Last edited by d3ity; 05-30-2006 at 01:00 AM.
d3ity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)