e34/e39 540i.. pros cons? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

View Poll Results: e34 540 / e39 540?
e34? 1 9.09%
e39? 10 90.91%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Pandemonium Director

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
(Thread Starter)
e34/e39 540i.. pros cons?

I'm going to be selling all my current vehicles in the near future and am going to be buying one main daily driver. I have decided on the 540i, its the perfect vehicle for me. I was debating on a c43 amg, and a couple other vehicles but I kept comming back to the 540i.

Its gotta be auto. Thats a given. With a ~70 mile commute everyday in teh suck traffic my left foot is getting tired driving my z3.

For reliability, which is better from experience? E34 or e39? I like the look of both in different ways, and the sound system I have already purchased for them will fit either one (arc audio acs 265's all around with an arc flatline 12d2 sub and a pioneer avic N1 nav/performance meter + 2 arc amps to run everything)

Whats everyones opinion? Old or new?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 01:56 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say it depends on your budget.
If possible, I'd go for the E39,
basically it's the same car, but the E39 with sport package makes a difference. And the interior is more appealing whereas in the E34, the interior is rather dated.

I owned a E34 540i first, then upgraded to the E39 and have no regrets.
The first time I got into the E39, I felt the difference right away. The steering feel is one of them, being tighter and almost feel like a rack and pinion.

2012 Porsche 911 GTS
2008 ford F150 Foose Edition
#3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 07:18 AM
n00b

DaveCotter is an unknown quantity at this point
The E39 540 Has a good engine, reliable, not as thirsty and sounds great when you punch the throttle. It's also easier to repair due to up rated electronics. It's your best bet if you want to avoid headaches. More parts are available at hand also.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 01:17 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
No one knows the 540s better than cosmoblack.....I'll take his advise.....and Cosmos welcome back!

regards
billb
#5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 01:25 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm
after owning both, an e34 and e39 - I'd have to say the e34.
They are not 540s, but im sure the differences are the same as they would be between the two 540s.

I get SO much more driver-satisfaction out of my e34 than the e39. The e39 feels nice and MUCH more luxurious and refined, but it quickly feels "boring." the sport package helps, but theres still something lacking. The turning radius is not as sharp, the car feels heavier and more unwilling to be able to handle sharp maneuvers (even though it WILL handle them almost as well as the e34) It just feels so "unhappy" I love them both, but if I had to pick just ONE, it'd be the e34.

Reliability is going to be very similar between the two assuming that mileage is also very similar. Parts for the e34 are dirt cheap nowadays and can be found anywhere it seems like (online that is) and the e39's suspension is a bit more of a bear to work on, but it's do-able still.

If I remember right, your coming from an e30. The e34 will be loads more luxury and refinement while still feeling "tight" on the road. The e39 will just be a flat out lux car in comparison to an e30, but may feel a bit heavy and "boaty" if you like the handling and feel of the e30.

the main differences between the two is that the e34 lacks refinement and modern looks in the interior,etc. If thats what your after - go e39. If your after a fun, but still very nice riding car - go for the e34. Drive both and you will see. And yes, e39s DO tend to feel tighter all around (usually), but keep in mind almost every e39 you come across will be a lot less mileage than almost every e34 you come across due to age, so thats a terrible comparison!!!

Good luck on whichever you buy, they are both amazing cars. Oh - and the e39 540 is a bit more powerful (4.4L vs 4.0L) and has the option of steptronic. When driving the car, you can't really FEEL the power difference, but if you watch the speedo / tach, you know it's their.

With this board being mostly e39s, (and many with a few exceptions have not even driven an e34) My comments will be an uphill battle - so theres some bias there. I suggest you drive both extensively.

Last edited by sp0rky; 11-26-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)