E34 DME Problem
My 9/93 530iT will not start. Starter works, all dash indicators appear normal.
Here is what I have troubleshot to this point.
1. Engine will try to run with starting fluid so the enging has spark.
2. No voltage at fuel pump fuse.
3. Fuel pump relay has been pulled and tested good.
4. Fuel pump relay has been jumpered and system has sufficient fuel pressure.
4. Engine Control (DME) Relay has been pulled and tested good.
5. There is voltage at pin 30 of the DME Relay and on both of the 87 pins with ignition turned on.
6. There is proper voltage in the wire bundles for the injectors above the valve covers with ignition turned on.
7. I can only occasionally get the Stomp test to work
8. When it does work, I get a 1444 code when DME goes into diagnostic mode indicating no problems.
The DME provides the (-) signal to fire the injectors and the fuel pump relay. This would suggest that the DME may be bad coupled with the stomp test that only occasionally works.
I can think on nothing else except for a possible EWS problem, but this seems unlikely with the primitive early system in my car that is simply spliced into the On-Board Computer circuit (Code). If I understand the EWS system correctly, it interlocks both fuel and spark.
Any thoughts. Is it a bad DME or have I missed something?