E34 Cooling System Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
5_or_Better is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down

I purchased my 89' 535i earlier this year and the first thing I encountered was my Heater Core failed on me and you could smell coolant through my vents inside the car as well as coolant leaking from under my car. I was also concerned about the Temperature Gauge sitting in the middle and sometimes a little over. A month ago I had the Heater Core, the piping that connects to the Heater Core (it was cracked), and my Thermostat replaced. The gauge stays in the middle, the leaking stopped, BUT I still smell coolant in my car especially when I turn my A/C and heat on. Also my on-board reading occasionally says, "COOLANT LEVEL" when start-up or turn off my car, but there is coolant in the reservior. Please help me out! My car is a beauty that I don't want to keep shelling out money for. Thanks in advance, 5 or Better

5_or-Better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 09:41 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
1. It takes a long time to dry out all that coolant pooling in the box. Probably you'll have to wait this one out. Although I think this is the problem since you said you're not loosing any coolant/ after the repair.

It does not hurt to check the following just to be on the safe side:
2. The heater valve is just in front of the firewall. If it leaks there, the smell will be picked up by your blower motor. Very common problem.

There are some hoses in that area as well. Rubber part connected to a valve where the other side of the valve connects to the driver side of engine block near the back. Check these rubber hoses for leaking; loose clamps after repair due to a lazy mechanic is often a good guess!!

regards
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 05:26 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
billB, I also meant to mention that before the repair and after, I was having a problem with smoke (steam?) from the middle of the firewall. At least when I open my hood that's where I see the majority of it coming from which was the main reason why I had the repair done. You can see it coming from the sides and back when sitting still. It happens usually when I'm driving it for long periods of time (15+ miles). I did have my tranny replaced when I first got the car and had to send it right back (three weeks later) because the tranny burned out on me (for some reason my S3 gear hasn't been the same since). Need your help... 5_or_better.

5_or-Better
#4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 05:45 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
5 or better

You have a vivid and very clear sign of coolant leaking. That is the white steam you talking about in and a round the engine compartment. One would think it is Coolant touching/dripping/leaking over a hot exhaust/manifold . Now whether it is before or after the repair it is irrelevant at this stage. We know where the problem is. This is a priority and must be fixed. Once the leakage stop/no more white smoke then you go to the next step.

As I said in my earlier reply above (see #2 above) check all these hoses for deterioration/look for loose or rusty clamps. You can pick those for 50 cents at any hardware store. Also coolant Hoses can crack from age/drying/ heat etc etc.

In sum: look for the source of the leak 1st, fix it, then check and recheck. At least you know where the problem is!!

P.S. Consider yourself lucky because the white steam does not come out of the muffler. That would've spelled out a bad head gasket.

Let us know and wish good luck
regards
bill
#5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:36 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Sep 28 2004, 05:45 PM
5 or better

You have a vivid and very clear sign of coolant leaking. That is the white steam you talking about in and a round the engine compartment. One would think it is Coolant touching/dripping/leaking over a hot exhaust/manifold . Now whether it is before or after the repair it is irrelevant at this stage. We know where the problem is. This is a priority and must be fixed. Once the leakage stop/no more white smoke then you go to the next step.

As I said in my earlier reply above (see #2 above) check all these hoses for deterioration/look for loose or rusty clamps. You can pick those for 50 cents at any hardware store. Also coolant Hoses can crack from age/drying/ heat etc etc.

In sum: look for the source of the leak 1st, fix it, then check and recheck. At least you know where the problem is!!

P.S. Consider yourself lucky because the white steam does not come out of the muffler. That would've spelled out a bad head gasket.

Let us know and wish good luck
regards
bill
[snapback]200889[/snapback]

5_or-Better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)