BMW Werkz banner

E34 Clutch Switch -- HELP ! ! !

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  m3driver97 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience in adjusting the E34 clutch switch?

I just went through agony replacing the clutch master cylinder in my 93 M5. Getting the brake-fluid soaked carpet out was a PITA as well as replacing the clutch master cylinder.

I was already to celebrate success for finally getting that critter bolted back in when I realized that the end of the clutch actuating rod that fastens to the clutch pedal is about 1/4" too short. That is, fully extended it doesn't quite reach the clutch switch.

There is no play in the bolt holes that fasten the clutch master cylinder to the pedal assembly, so I can't get the clutch master cylinder any closer to the clutch switch assembly.

The clutch switch assembly is attached to a stamped steel bracket that is part of the clutch pedal assembly and this bracket is not adjustable. Neither is the switch assembly.

The first thought was that the clutch master cylinder might have been the wrong part, but after double checking the P/N with the ETK, and comparing it to the markings on the one I removed, I found that they are identical.

Am I missing something very obvious here???? This is quickly turning into a nightmare...

TIA for any assistance/insight anyone can provide regarding any solutions to this problem...

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is an excerpt from the Bentley manual for the e34 (non-m5) about bleeding the clutch etc.

Disclaimer:please note that this manual does not cover the M5, but I am posting it because I believe M5's clutch is very similar. Neither I, nor the author of the book can be held responsible for any damages and/or personal injuries. This is for reference and comparison purposes only.

#4 ·
Thanks for the timely response to my dilemma... I have the Bentley manual for the E34 series, but there is no mention nor picture of the clutch switch or how to make the adjustment. (I have confirmed in the wiring diagram section that this switch is for disengagement of the cruise control when the clutch pedal is depressed).

One of the suggestions I have received is to merely bend the stamped steel bracket that holds this switch until it makes contact with the end of the clutch master cylinder pushrod when the clutch pedal is at the upper stop.

I'll have to look at this arrangement again to see how far back the clutch pedal will come when not connected to the clutch master cylinder. I suppose it is possible that I let the pedal snap back (pretty strong spring assembly) to the fully extended position and that it may have bent the bracket, but I am not convinced of this as the switch is offset from the clutch pedal and only lines up with (and comes in contact with) the CMC pushrod.

All things considered, I guess I won't be heartbroken if all that is missing is the CC.

Thanks again for your post. Sooner or later I'll get this resolved...

#6 ·
My problem is that I can't get the switch to contact the clutch master cylinder pushrod at full released position to enable engaging the cruise control.

I'll probably either bend the bracket or epoxy some sort of extension to the end of the CMC pushrod so the CC will engage.

Still have to locate a good replacement for the carpet that got trashed when the original CMC puked 2 liters of SuperBlue on the carpet when I was trying to pressure bleed the brakes.

Sooner (rather than later I hope) I will get these wheels back on the road where they belong.

Thanks for the help...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.