BMW Werkz banner

E34 Burning Out Starter Motors

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  billB 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I have a request on behalf of my pensioner next door neighbour, he has a 1994 518 and had a starter motor issue (the AA had to tow him back and said the starter was shot), so we got hold of a secondhand but in excellent condition starter motor.

This was fitted and all was well for the first 2 journeys but now this has failed completely (there is no sound at all, it doesnt even try to turn the engine over), the garage (non BMW) said this too had been burned out.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening or what we need to check ??

many thanx

porschefan

(sorry i prefer the other german manufacturer :) )

#2 ·
you replaced an old starter with another OLD ONE. The only way to be sure is to replace with a brand new starter. Think about it now you're getting into a second used starter plus labor.....would've been way much cheaper to do the new starter from the very beginning. You cannot trust used electrical parts!!!! sorry I couldn't help
regards
billb

#3 ·
Appreciate the advice, but if it is an electrical issue, im glad we only ruined a £30 starter instead of a £150+ from BMW.

Have used secondhand alternators and starter motors on my Porsche's before without a problem, maybe porsche use more reliable parts :p :joking:

Is it possible to tell if the starter itself is causing the problems ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.