e34 auto transmission - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 03:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jalilkr is on a distinguished road
Angry e34 auto transmission

hello guys!

i have e34, 525i, vanos, 1993. i got the transmission fluid changed . the fluid which i used was 236.2 mercedes benz, which is similar to dexron III according to some websites. Unfortunately, i started to hear noise exactly at 140 km/hr. if i go faster the noise disappears. any comment or advice, please.

jalilkr
jalilkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
What sort of noise?? grinding, whinning, screeching ?????

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
whining noise in auto gerabox

it is whining.

regards.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
towball56 is on a distinguished road
who did the service for you?, did they fill it correctly?, i know that may sound a stupid thing to ask,however, if your tranny has they really annoying fill me from underneath thing happening you have to fill it not running then start it and then fill it running after it's warmed up, can make a difference of 2 liters!, and also, i don't know how you feel about additives here and at the risk of getting some really bad attention back i kinda swear by them, mostly the nulon and the lucas stuff, they've done wonders in all my vehicles including my porsche, however, make that decision on your own thoughts, the last beemer i had (85 323i someone wrote it off, broke my heart), the tranny in that picked right up when i threw in a bottle of the lucas stuff, changed better and quietened down too!,your decision tho, these 5 sries are a complete different ball game although similar,if that makes sense,anyway, find out how it was filled up-dave
towball56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
what stupied am I !!!

this is the full story:

it is a mistake to drain the longlife ATF. what i did is wrong!

the following oil grades didn't work for the car:

1- mercedes benz 236.2 ATF
2- ACDELCO D-3 ATF

in both cases, im not sure about the way the mechanics did it. how bad and unskilled they are!

i purchased original fluid form BMW agency. the gave my their D-2 fluid 5L.

the mechanic told me 5L are not enough. you should have 3L more, because the gear box is big (JATCO). and he blamed me because i purchased the original fluid which is expensive. what he said was strange! he told me: BMW original fluid is the same as motorcraft TYPE (M) for ford. so he brought 3L of TYPE (M) and mixed with the original fluid.

the surprise is, the gear is performing well now!!!.

so the question is:
is it true the motorcraft TYPE (M) fluid is the same as the long life original?? besides that it is 1/4 price of the original.

******but still, draining the fluid was a big big big mistake ********
Old 12-20-2008, 02:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
towball56 is on a distinguished road
the tranny

hi man, i don't know about the skills of the mechanic, however i'd be a bit skeptical about putting a ford grade anything in any part of the drive line,but in saying that, the long life fluid just doesn't last forever regardless of what anyone says,i've got a zf auto in my 520i and it's really kicking goals since i replaced it and put in the lucas as well, from experience with the cat gear i've had to service they all jump up and down if you don't use their particular brand of replacement oil, and i feel it's the same with these trannys, however, beemers aren't cat and what i did was check your own manuals, which i'm sure you have done,and ring around some of the top dealers and service centres who work on bm's exclusively and ask them if they do the service on your type of transmissions, ask them in a way that makes them think you are going to come in and let them do it, question their expertise by asking them what type of oil they are actually going to put back into your car because the car means a lot to you and there seems to be a grey area regarding this type of service, state that the vehicle needs a service in the tranny as it's changing erratically etc and has to be done, take note of what each of them say and put that up against the info in the manuals or what you know and go from there. mechanics are sometimes very opinionated regarding what their level is and if they get an idea you may not know about something too good they'll definitely push their opinion on you, which doesn't help you if they're wrong,also, don't beat yourself up because you think you have made a mistake, perhaps you haven't you know, and also, these tranny's are built tough and designed in multi million dollar labs so i don't think that you have ruined it or abused it to badly by the wrong oil, as long as it's not over too long a time, also go onto the oil companies sites and do a search for the grade of oil they recommend and put that info up against the bm specs, you'll figure it out, don't go for the worst case scenario just yet, i had a guy come over to me telling me his tranny was cactus and his mechanic told him he needed a new one,well, the mechanic had dipped the tranny the wrong way, we did it then the right way and voila!, 2 or 3 liters of oil later it was cool!, let me know how you go-dave
towball56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)