e34 525i not starting after fuel pump replacement - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 00 Prelude, 95 525i, 85 635CSi
Photos:
d3ity will become famous soon enoughd3ity will become famous soon enough
e34 525i not starting after fuel pump replacement

Here's what I've done so far.

Planned on taking the car in for a fuel pump 2 weeks ago. My mechanic told me to give it to him with a minimal ammount of gas. So, I run the thing dry basically (Range on the computer said 54 miles). The car sits overnight. It won't start when I try to get it over to the shop. This is a problem. Since my fuel pump was already on its way out, and putting the fuel level that low usually would strain the pump. I suspected it immediatley. Got the replacement fuel pump and installed it. Added a few gallons of fresh, 95 octane death fuel.

Sweet, should fire right up! Wrong. Installed the fuel pump, tried to start the car, nothing.

Next, I checked the air filter, it seemed "wet" and had either gas or oil or something on it. I can take a picture of it if you guys so desire, I've still got it lying around. I replaced the filter. Still not starting. I guess it's flooded and let it sit. It was flooded to the point where my oil smelled of gas. Changed the oil as a result. checked the plugs, they didn't look too sharp. Replaced all the plugs. Checked the power terminal of the ignition coil wires to ensure that I was in fact getting spark. Great. Getting spark. A check of the plugs after trying in vain to start the car confirms that yes, the plugs are firing.

So I'm at this point, I've got a few suspects. I've got a tapping noise coming from somewhere in the car. I suspected this to be low oil/valve tapping and I seem to have resolved it by adding a fresh quart. (Dipstick said it was low).

Now, a more interesting question. I did in fact replace a fuel pump. I notice, that when trying to turn the car over and putting the pedal down a bit (Yes, I know it's a fuel injected car and you're not supposed to do this), I seem to get a low rumble/banging noise as the starter cranks over. I'm thinking this might relate to air in the fuel lines, can anyone confirm/deny that assertion? If that's the issue, what's the best way to get all that air out without damaging my starter? What could I be missing in this equation?

I also have another suspect, according to the bentley repair manual, the tachometer should "bounce" when the starter cranks the engine. My tach stays dead. It tells me to check the ignition, which I will do tomorrow, once I aqquire the proper guages and such. Anyone else have ideas?

Last edited by d3ity; 06-05-2006 at 08:55 PM.
d3ity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Car: 97 540IA, 95 840CI
Photos:
LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Can it be a fuse? Does't hurt to check. Remove it and place it back in. Maybe this will re-set things???? Just a thought.

LOS
LOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)