E34 525i Engine Knocking - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
riverarb is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

I have a 91 525i w/high mileage 230k, but runs great. Recently a "knocking noise" started from the front of the engine. First thoughts were the timing chain or tensioner. I utilized the ole' broom handle technique to listen to the engine, but I couldn't hear any knocking noises from the valve cover, timing cover or engine block???? ghead Sometimes the knock is faint, especially at start-up or cold, and then it gets worse. I'm a "do it yourselfer" mechanic, so please any info would be great! Go Army
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
maci4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by riverarb@Oct 18 2004, 05:31 PM
I have a 91 525i w/high mileage 230k, but runs great. Recently a "knocking noise" started from the front of the engine. First thoughts were the timing chain or tensioner. I utilized the ole' broom handle technique to listen to the engine, but I couldn't hear any knocking noises from the valve cover, timing cover or engine block???? ghead Sometimes the knock is faint, especially at start-up or cold, and then it gets worse. I'm a "do it yourselfer" mechanic, so please any info would be great! Go Army
[snapback]213668[/snapback]
have you tried different gas grades?? just wondering if it gets worse or better.
maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 00 Prelude, 95 525i, 85 635CSi
Photos:
d3ity will become famous soon enoughd3ity will become famous soon enough
The problem is your valve cover gasket, check your spark plugs, there may be a bit of oil around/on them, this is a definate indicator.

An hour, a torque wrench, and a gasket set will fix this problem
Old 10-20-2004, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
riverarb

Somewhat I am thinking OIL and thus going NAVY on this one (liquid) and I'll share with you since you going army:

The Hydraulic Bucket Tappets can make this noise and it is very dependent on two variables:
1. Viscosity of engine oil used
2. Outside ambient temperature.

As such you must first check that your oil viscosity is matched to your ambient temperature.

Also as crazy as it sounds there is a very simple BLEEDING PROCEDURE. That is If this knocking noise can be heard, run the engine for 3 minutes without load at approximately 2,500 to 3,000 rpm (bleeding procedure) any air drawn in to the system via a defective O ring for example will cause oil foaming and thus knocking sounds.

finally I sincerely believe the synthetic oil adheres to all those parts at the top of the engine better than the regular oil. I recommend BMW synthetic oil; some swear by Mobile one...I don't or at least my car doesn't!!!

good luck
regards
billb
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by maci4life+Oct 19 2004, 09:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maci4life @ Oct 19 2004, 09:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-riverarb@Oct 18 2004, 05:31 PM
I have a 91 525i w/high mileage 230k, but runs great.* Recently a "knocking noise" started from the front of the engine. First thoughts were the timing chain or tensioner.* I utilized the ole' broom handle technique to listen to the engine, but I couldn't hear any knocking noises from the valve cover, timing cover or engine block????* ghead Sometimes the knock is faint, especially at start-up or cold, and then it gets worse.* I'm a "do it yourselfer" mechanic, so please any info would be great! Go Army
[snapback]213668[/snapback]
have you tried different gas grades?? just wondering if it gets worse or better.
[snapback]214010[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I've always ran the highest octane available, at times w/octane boost.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by d3ity@Oct 20 2004, 07:03 PM
The problem is your valve cover gasket, check your spark plugs, there may be a bit of oil around/on them, this is a definate indicator.

An hour, a torque wrench, and a gasket set will fix this problem
[snapback]215077[/snapback]

I replaced the valve cover gasket/plugs about 5k miles ago...This was before the knocking begun. Thanks for the input
Old 10-21-2004, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Oct 20 2004, 10:53 PM
riverarb

Somewhat I am thinking OIL and thus going NAVY on this one (liquid) and I'll share with you since you going army:

The Hydraulic Bucket Tappets can make this noise and it is very dependent on two variables:
1. Viscosity of engine oil used
2. Outside ambient temperature.

As such you must first check that your oil viscosity is matched to your ambient temperature.

Also as crazy as it sounds there is a very simple BLEEDING PROCEDURE. That is If this knocking noise can be heard, run the engine for 3 minutes without load at approximately 2,500 to 3,000 rpm (bleeding procedure) any air drawn in to the system via a defective O ring for example will cause oil foaming and thus knocking sounds.

finally I sincerely believe the synthetic oil adheres to all those parts at the top of the engine better than the regular oil. I recommend BMW synthetic oil; some swear by Mobile one...I don't or at least my car doesn't!!!

good luck
regards
billb
[snapback]215207[/snapback]
This sounds like a winner, I'll change over to the synthetic oil this weekend. I've always ran Mobil 1 in my "92" 318i off the show room floor, good oil. Will I have any problems with the swap form conventional to synthetic ie...gaskets shirinking.
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)