BMW Werkz banner

E34 520i - Rear Squeek - Advice

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr-Dee 
#1 ·
Hi, just wanting some advice. I have a L reg 520i SE

When driving there is a prominent squeeking noise from the rear, especially on bumpy roads.

When the car is parked I have bounced up and down on the rear (Both sides). The noise seems to be more promintent from the drivers side rear.

Looking at the gap between the rear tyres and the wheelarch, it definately seems like there is less space on the drivers side rear. (Not sure if I was just being paranoid though, or the road was entirely flat)

Any ideas what this is likely to be and possible costs?

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Does your model have the air ride? Mine does not and I have the exact same issue. I have a '97 528 and I am about certain that the noise is coming from the rear strut/shock. I am pricing them to replace them (~$90 each for parts) and if it provides the fix I will post the success story, if not....I will have spent a couple of hundred dollars replacing something that is not yet worn out maybe...I know you should replace them in pairs, but I am going to buy one and replace that noisey side first to see if it provides the fix.

The shocks also have upper mounts. I seem to recall an older 5 series of mine making similar noises in the front end and shocks fixed the problem. If you are going to replace the shocks make sure to also replace the mounts. You can get the mounts for about $40 each after market and it makes sense to change them out when you have the strut/shock removed.

I will post again to this thread later.

#5 ·
This can be a nightmare of a problem on these cars, I recently put my e34 520i back on the road after the auto gearbox blew in my e34 525i, and it drove as sweet as a nut for a few days, then I got a right annoying squeek as you describe which very quickly became so bad that it was embarrasing to drive ! it was hurrendous, probably from being stood for too long, I got the back of the car up in the air and sprayed every bush I could find with a silicon based spray (rubber-safe) but this still did not help at all, I inspected the rear anti roll bar bushes and droplinks which were cracked and perished, I got the new parts and sent them along with the car to be fitted, they removed the anti roll bar but it still did the noise, but they have managed to pin the problem down to another bush and as soon as the part comes in tomorrow and they fit it I will let you know which one it was in my case just incase it helps . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.