e34 1989 525i m20b25 not charging - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:22 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kyytsis is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
e34 1989 525i m20b25 not charging

e34 1989 525i m20b25 not charging

Hello All,

Last sunday I was going to wisit my girlfriends folks when e34 started to be shy.

1st stereo died when blinker was on.
2nd (about 6 miles from the 1st) the stereo died when braking. Then I decided that I can live without radio and turned it off.
3rd on a freeway I felt that car was hesitating somewhat, I blipped the throttle and it responded ok, but after a few moments I felt that I was losing power.

I exited the freeway and chenged to neutral to see how the engine was running. It idled badly around 400rpm, but as it didn't sound that bad I decided to try to reach the gas station nearby. Car started to miss and gas exploded in the exhaust... It finally died some 50 meters from the station, but luckily there was some downhill.

I first thought that the battery had died, it showed 8.5V without any appliances on. We changed it, and when car was running again measured the voltage from alternator. Which didn't exist. So, next we changed the alternator (yes, I have closet full of spare parts). ..just to realise that the new one doesn't do any better.

Ok, then I measured voltages when engine was running:
From D+ terminal (the smaller one) of alternator 0V,
From B+ terminal i got 11,57V, which was same as between battery termials

I tried to limp the car home, by putting a piece of cord between battery + terminal and D+ terminal of alternator. It didn't work, the car still didn't charge at all. I had to park the car before I got home even thought I didn't use headlights nor any other applience.

What to do next? Fusible link is under the rear seat, that may need some attention, but is there something other to do?

Instruments are faded (Check Control display is unreadable), but dials work ok. Also the charging warning light is ok, when power is on it illuminated, but after starting it is off - without the jumper cable from alternator to battery it glows sligtly. Otherwice everything seems to work.

I don't know what to do anymore, please, help!

Thanking You,

Btw. About e34 bad headlights: Xenons are the way to go. Including a pic of my car with 8000K set. They aren't that blue really...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xenon3.jpg
Views:	1439
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	23463  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:28 AM
Neutral Member

mehumming is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mehumming Send a message via Yahoo to mehumming
Lightbulb excited

well done getting home on low volts..
the main reason it wouldn't be charging is a faulty alternator .
d+ exciting terminal should be show 0 volts at minimum low rpm when disconnected from vehicles electrical system.
d+ will change state from 0V to 14V once rpm has risen enough to excite the fields of the alt.
the alt warning indicator normally connects through your ignition + supplying indicator with battery+.
the other side of the alt warning indicator connects to the D+ terminal.
so before starting engine, the light will be lite. There should be 0Volts on one side of indicator lamp and ignition + on the other.
once started, current passes through lamp and excites the fields inside the alt
when excited the D+ terminal floats at the output voltage of the B+ ,,,,So both sides of the alt indicator lamp are at the same voltage and the lamp fades out.
if your lamp is still just on i say it would still be a faulty alt ( open circuit windings or completely warn brushes)
you can have you alternator tested for correct output of all terminals on a load test bench at many auto electrical reconditioning workshops.
whats not saying that your spare is faulty and your original has similar problems?
has just happened so don't look for to many things.
1 Faulty Alternator
2 Faulty Alternator components
A low voltage indicator alarm would be a safety warning below 12.4v
good luck with your stereo i hope it is still OK along with your other electronics

Last edited by mehumming; 04-05-2006 at 07:52 AM. Reason: lose of text when preveiwing post
#3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:45 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehumming
has just happened so don't look for to many things.
1 Faulty Alternator
2 Faulty Alternator components
A low voltage indicator alarm would be a safety warning below 12.4v
good luck with your stereo i hope it is still OK along with your other electronics
Cheers,

It's beginning to look like that, 2 faulty alternators. Well, when I get the car running again I'll personally return the "new, shiny, goof..." to the seller. :

No-worries!

Regards,

#4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Neutral Member

Thumbs up give em heaps

when you had your jumper leads connected from the alt to the battery, you stated that the charge lamp was not lite, but when you disconnected the jumpers it glowed slightly?
maybe the reason the lamp was slightly lite is because of the voltage drop across your main charge wire, the alt could have been drawing current from your battery and dropping the d+ terminal voltage lower than the actual ignition voltage ..
this voltage drop would only have to be ? say 2 volts therefor if the ignition voltage is 12.5+volts and D+ voltage was 10.5 +volts( due to the faulty diode, say?) there would be 2 volts allowing the charge indicator to slightly glow..

cheers :lol:

Nathan
#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Neutral Member

Question indicator

theres a full couple of pages on how to build this little time saver sounds, more interesting building something ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	23499  
#6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:20 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Interesting...

..I just got the car fixed. It was the alternator after all. Now it's back in business. I also got the motivation to fix the LKM finally. Previous owner had fitted a jump lead from drivers side to co-drivers side.

Now I have to figure out how to fool the CC as I have Xenons installed. Abblendlicht comes up every time I start the car (yes, I also know how to make the car speak english, but I prefer german here )

Thanks all for helping!

Kind regards,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)