E28, E34 in snow - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 03:54 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BlueSteel is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
E28, E34 in snow

I'm debating picking up a 5-Series BMW (E28 or E34) for my next car but I've gotten mixed reviews of how the handle the snow. I'm going to be in Vermont a lot for the next four years so I need something that won't slide out of control with a few flakes on the road.

At first I thought the sheer weight of the car would hold it down, but I drove a Mercedes E320 home through a blizzard once and basically made the whole trip sideways...

So, any E28 or E34 BMW owners that have snow experience, let me know about it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
For Teh Walrus?

WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
They can be controlled but you will need a set of dedicated snow tires.

"I would not know what the spirit of a philosopher might wish more to be than a good dancer."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
#3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
I managed to go 3 winters without snow tires. Granted, Kentucky winters aren't as bad as those in MA, but I managed. With a set of snow tires, it should be no problem.

#4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 PM
cnn
Neutral Member

cnn is on a distinguished road
As a rule RWD car accelerates more slowly than

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
I'm debating picking up a 5-Series BMW (E28 or E34) for my next car but I've gotten mixed reviews of how the handle the snow. I'm going to be in Vermont a lot for the next four years so I need something that won't slide out of control with a few flakes on the road.

At first I thought the sheer weight of the car would hold it down, but I drove a Mercedes E320 home through a blizzard once and basically made the whole trip sideways...

So, any E28 or E34 BMW owners that have snow experience, let me know about it.

Thanks!
FWD cars in snow. Add a slope and FWD cars do better.
I used to live in Montreal and know the Vermont weather.
Even with a full set of 4 snow tires, RWD cars do not do as well as FWD cars.

I have E39 and is OK on snow here in Omaha.
However my Volvo V70 (FWD) do better on snow.
In the past I had a 1991 Volvo 240 and it was a challenge in snow. Just do not accelerate too much with RWD cars.

Ideally, get a BMW for most of the time. Then use a 4x4 beater car for winter (like an old beatup Subaru).
If you are allowed only one car in Vermont, the go FWD or 4x4.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:22 PM
n00b

tonyd414 is on a distinguished road
I live in CT and on normal snow days not to bad - on the bad snow days - I would not drive the car. I have a set of winter rims with Blizzaks for tires and I still went out and bought a used F150.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
n00b

BlueSteel is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Yes I'm sure FWD is better then RWD... but few FWD cars can match BMW for style, performance and build quality

Too bad there's no AWD E34
#7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 12:01 AM
cnn
Neutral Member

cnn is on a distinguished road
Now you know why they say

Quote:
Yes I'm sure FWD is better then RWD... but few FWD cars can match BMW for style, performance and build quality

we cannot have everything in life.

I am lucky, I have a 1998 Volvo V70 with 75K miles and the Blue Book Value only $5K so not worth reselling it, I keep it as a "beater" car for winter.
The rest of the time. the E39 wins the battle, it is a wonderful machine.
A True German engineering marvel.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Neutral Member

Yellow2 is on a distinguished road
My friend Tj runs his E28 turbo up in boone on a set of blizzack snow tires and he has NO problems getting through their ice/snow. If you have further questions on his setup, please email or PM me.

THx.

E34's should be the same as they only weight a little more. No ?

1994 E36 325is & 1987 E30 325e
#9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:48 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Yes there are. There was a very limited run of 525ix ... finding one would probably be very hard though.

#10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 AM
For Teh Walrus?

WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
FWD is better in low speed snow situation. The key is knowing how to control oversteer. Too, most car companies don't worry much about weight distribution and therefore they are nose-heavy (i.e. buick) and do get great low speed traction. At speed there is very little difference unless you have a VERY heavy foot. Once the snow is gone you're left with a car that still plows into corners. Snow tires aren't bad so I say give those a try and if you can't manage then go for a beater. A few months of crawling around in the snow will be worth it once you're cruising around with the windows down in your BMW.

I know what you meant but I had to say something after that "FWD is better" comment . . . blasphemy.

"I would not know what the spirit of a philosopher might wish more to be than a good dancer."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
#11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 PM
n00b

mconerly is on a distinguished road
I have a RWD e39 and it is not a great snow car... I live outside of Seattle in a pretty hilly area and I keep chains in the trunk all winter long. Even with chains, there have been a few times that I could not navigate the snow covered hill and had to walk the last 1/2 mile home. That being said, I would not trade my RWD 528i for anything (except maybe the new M5) :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)