E Box - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2005, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Wade6923 is an unknown quantity at this point
I can,t find the ( E Box ) which holds the windshield wiper relay. I was told it was located under the hood, under the air intake for the passanger. I see no bolts or other way to remove any type of cover ghead

I can only find relays in the trunk and can't tell if any of these are for the wipers. They appear to be a dry type relay and therefor should be able to hear or feel a click when operated, but I can't.

Wade
Wade6923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2005, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Which car is this on ?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
97 540i cant find the E Box
Old 05-04-2005, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jday is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 95 525i and my e-box is on the passenger side of the engine compartment straight across from the fuse box against the firewall. It has screws that hold the top on. Looks similar to the fuse box. Hope this helps!
jday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Wade6923@May 3 2005, 03:51 PM
[snapback]340528[/snapback]
Wade, your E39 1997 5-series is very different from the E34 the person above was referencing.

My 1999 E39 is very similar to your car, and I just replaced my windshield wiper relay. It is easy. Here is what you do:
1. In the engine compartment, all the way back by the firewall and at the base of the windshield, you have a cabin air filter box on each side of the car. Using a screwdriver, dislodge the three airtube clips from the passenger side box (right side of the box as you are standing looking at it from the front of the car).
2. Unclip/lift the wire bail holding the lid on, remove the lid, and remove the cabin air filter (consider replacing this filter).
3. At the front of the box, centered, but at the bottom is a spring clip holding the box onto a short threaded rod. Squeeze the spring and pull up on the clip and box to free the box. Remove the box from the car.
4. Now you should be able to see the plastic top of the e-box. You'll need a 5mm hex key to loosen and remove all 4 socket head cap screws holding it on. Be patient, the threads are fine and it requires a bit of turning.
5. Remove the box top. Underneath are a bunch of relays and stuff. In my case, the w/w relay was the tallest one, tan in color. It simply lifted out. The new one was in stock at my BMW dealer and was under $15.
6. Good luck to you! It should be about a 10 minute job.
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.+May 4 2005, 03:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eric S. @ May 4 2005, 03:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Wade6923@May 3 2005, 03:51 PM
Wade, your E39 1997 5-series is very different from the E34 the person above was referencing.

My 1999 E39 is very similar to your car, and I just replaced my windshield wiper relay. It is easy. Here is what you do:
1. In the engine compartment, all the way back by the firewall and at the base of the windshield, you have a cabin air filter box on each side of the car. Using a screwdriver, dislodge the three airtube clips from the passenger side box (right side of the box as you are standing looking at it from the front of the car).
2. Unclip/lift the wire bail holding the lid on, remove the lid, and remove the cabin air filter (consider replacing this filter).
3. At the front of the box, centered, but at the bottom is a spring clip holding the box onto a short threaded rod. Squeeze the spring and pull up on the clip and box to free the box. Remove the box from the car.
4. Now you should be able to see the plastic top of the e-box. You'll need a 5mm hex key to loosen and remove all 4 socket head cap screws holding it on. Be patient, the threads are fine and it requires a bit of turning.
5. Remove the box top. Underneath are a bunch of relays and stuff. In my case, the w/w relay was the tallest one, tan in color. It simply lifted out. The new one was in stock at my BMW dealer and was under $15.
[snapback]340840[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Thanks for the info, it was right on the $ however myrelays were two purple ones and I went to autozone and bought new ones, when I replaced them both I know blow one of my wiper fuses and ideas before I start to trace it out?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Wade6923+May 5 2005, 07:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wade6923 @ May 5 2005, 07:04 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.@May 4 2005, 03:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Wade6923
Quote:
@May 3 2005, 03:51 PM

[snapback]340840[/snapback]
Thanks for the info, it was right on the $ however myrelays were two purple ones and I went to autozone and bought new ones, when I replaced them both I know blow one of my wiper fuses and ideas before I start to trace it out?
[snapback]341039[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
I didn't quite follow your shorthand. It sounds like you have 2 purple relays for your wipers and that when you replaced them you blew a fuse? All I can say is to get the Bentley manual - its electrical diagrams may be of use. Also, don't forget that there are a bunch of fuses and stuff back in the trunk with the battery.

Oh, and try to go OEM on things like relays (just my O). In my case, my BMW CCA membership gets me 20% off parts prices at the dealer, so they are usually competitive on price.
Good luck.
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
The fuses blowing os probably due to the aftermarket relays. Get the correct parts in there and see if that takes care of it.

DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)