E-28 Injectors - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 01:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
grsmonkey71 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
hello,
i just bought my fisrt bmw,an '86 528e. so far its been an excellent car for the price. i know it doesnt compare to a newer m5 or anything, but i was just looking for an inexpensive toy to play around with. i heard somewhere that you can install a higher lb/hr injector from a -do i dare say- ford.it doesn't sound too far off to me as both manufacturer's use bosch components. any insight would be great.thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1642.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	13925  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 01:23 PM
5th Gear Member

'89 635 csi is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave G.
'89 635csi
'86 528e - Sold
'84 528e - Soon to be 533i
'96 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
OO=[][]=OO
#3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 07:35 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
grsmonkey71

I take it from the above name your are a good mechanic? Either way you are more than welcome to the forum; and wish to ask-if I may- why you wish to go FORD on your Bimmer? In other words what are you trying to accomplish by installing higher lbs/hr Ford/Bosche injectors? Is it more HP? higher RPMs? etc etc
regards
billb
#4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 02:11 PM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't speak for them myself but a lot of BMW owners in the US seem to like SHARK injectors and engine management software - of course there is always dinan too.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 07:09 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
first of all i'd like to say thanks for welcoming me to the board. in response to Billb, i wouldnt call myself a GOOD mechanic but i've been a diesel tech since high school(i'm only 25 now) at an International dealer. seems like the more i learn the more stupid i feel.i use the word stupid because to be OLD and WISE-you have to be YOUNG and STUPID.at any rate, the reason i am looking to tinker with the performance on my bimmer is self explanatory,i can't help it. i've worked on and built plenty of american cars but never had the satifaction of DRIVING them as i do with my bimmer,i fell in love the first week i had it,and this one is nearly 20 years old!so now that this car has my complete attention, i'm looking to safely raise performance without comprimising economy and reliability at a rediculous rate. with 200k miles,base engine mechanical is good.i peformed a full tune-up and adj the valves.new water pump,since i was there,new timing belt.compression was good and under the valve cover was amazingly clean,so with good oil psi i have no reason to believe the bearings are going anywhere. i'm not looking to mix parts on this,i agree.i just read about that fuel inj thing and couldn't remember where.since i don't know a whole hell of alot about bmw's yet, i though i would seek a more experienced opinion.thanks alot, your feedback is appreciated!
#6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 09:41 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Growing up while armed with knowledge is the very ESSENCE of our own existence. Isn't it Grsmonkey71
regrads
billb
#7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 07:40 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, the mustang injectors fit in the m20 just fine. They are usually used when you have mods that require more fuel, though. I'm not so sure that installing them will help you notice anything.

One thing similar and for around the same price that will give you a little more kick, though is the fuel pressure regulator at bavauto.com.

Either way... guys.... who cars if the part is FROM a Ford? If it fits and functions, it doesn't really matter. It's not like these car companies make their own sensors, injectors, etc. Bosch is Bosch whether it's on a Ford or BMW.

#8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 12:48 AM
5th Gear Member

SPORKY:Either way... guys.... who cars if the part is FROM a Ford? If it fits and functions, it doesn't really matter. It's not like these car companies make their own sensors, injectors, etc. Bosch is Bosch whether it's on a Ford or BMW.

While you may know more about the above; you got me thinking (at least in theory) about the following Possibilities:

1. What the computer in the BMW is going to say when fitted with a Ford's injector?reprogram? Doesn't this depends on: A. Calculating the timing of cycles. B. What Pounds/hr of injectors. Or both?
2. Doesn't the computer determines how long the injector stays open to shoot specific amount of gas?
3. Are they the same size? Is the flow rate identical? If not who is going to compensate for the difference? A new reprogrammed computer chip, the O2 sensors (very limited control limit/corrections) or the check engine light once the computer gets fit up with the mod?

Note: I am raising the above question for I lack the proper knowledge in mods hoping someone has the right answer/s and/or experience.

regards
billb
#9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 10:14 PM
n00b

bimsupreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bimsupreme
dont mess wiht injectors bc they won't make much difference for the money. Just chip it because that will be like 20 more ponies for cheap.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 01:11 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay, I dont know much about what controls them, but I do know that adding a higher flow injector wont bother the computer or anything.

Anyway, a bosch sensor is a bosch sensor.. meaning that they are basically "universal" in many cases. You see, when a company like that is so widely used, it would be absolutely insane to make a part specific to one make and model of car, so many are in-fact identical in their electrical properties, etc.

#11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 05:02 PM
5th Gear Member

Dear Sporky

We are playing with the fuel/air ratio to BMW engines. (i.e. predefined/precalculated sets of data by the manufacturer) If something goes wrong and the engine overheats and seizes, I would not expect the dealer to pick it up under the warranty. Simply put they may just say "This is your problem you play you pay". On the other hand you may be 103% correct and a Ford injector may work very well due to the universal fit alas SPORKY's argument and may never cause any problems with the dealer. My questions become:
A. Who is going to assure me of the reliability of this mod.?
B. Who is going to convince me there is NOT at least some risk taken?
C. Who is going to present my warranty to the dealer?

Regards
billb
#12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:06 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i found this chip on ebay that i just installed yesterday.it's some no name from a guy in cali, but i got it for $35-so i fgured what the hell.this one claimed 24hp,28lb.ft, 500 rpm higher rev limit and opened the gov'd vehicle speed.from what i can FEEL it was worth the money.maybe the REAL(dinan,shark,etc) chip is better, but i say if you can tell the difference for $35,go for it.the engine seems to run fine anyways, so i think i'll just keep it in. i agree with the bosch is bosch thing-there are SO many companies that make and sell to alot of manufactures.sometimes i feel the only thing that is International about the trucks i work on is the emblem.
i could see how using an inj with a stock fuel curve program would not help much,it would be like trying to waterfall with an umbrella.but to a certian extent it can benefit with the computer fully able to compensate for changes.but that is why engineers use the tuning they do,emissions and reliabilty.in my case both are out.there's just such a fine line where the extra fuel helps.it all has to work together,more fuel= more air= more exhaust... and on we go.i'm just looking for known mod's that work--but aren't we all!
i think i'll check out a regulator before playing around with inj's, but just in case,what mustangs,if you know, are the same?
#13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:14 PM
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you know your stuff.

regards
billb
#14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 09:04 PM
5th Gear Member

grsmonkey71

Below is the reason why I was concerned about the above mod.

The Ford injectors are made by Bosch-as you said- and sold as Ford Motorsport type of a deal. The rating is at 24lb/hr at 2.7bar, which happened to be around 27.7lb/hr @ 3.5bar (the BMW app).

I hope this info. will help you in your final decision.

regards
billb
#15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 09:23 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
billb
it seems that using the ford injectors would be a bad idea. i suppose i'll put this issue on the back burner awhile-good things come to those who wait. i appreciate the research,thanks.

grsmonkey71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)