BMW Werkz banner

Dwa/ews Input Peake Fault Code?

13K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  billB 
#1 ·
:help I got a code 42 on my Peake fault code reader when used on my '95 525i which the manual says is "DWA/EWS input". What's that? The most I can find on it is that it has something to do with the anti-theft system. Two weeks ago the car died and we haven't been able to get it started yet. Thought it was a frozen fuel line & ran the battery dead trying to start it. Took out the battery to hook it up to a trickle charger at another person's house and put it back in. Things have thawed out and still it doesn't start. Used the fault code reader and this is what it came up with. HELP!!!!! This is very frustrating!! If anybody has any ideas let me know. The car supposedly has an OBDI system and I got the light to flash but it was all random and made no sense as far as how the flashes go together. I'm thinking this is possibly due to the low battery. We have to put the code back in the radio--any clues as to how this is done? Can't find that info either. Not in the owner's manual I have. I have the code but how do you enter it? For such a popular brand of car it is darn hard to find the info I need!! Guess that is what the technicians are for, huh? Any help you can send my way would be appreciated! Thanks!!

#2 ·
I don't have the answer to this, but I too have been ticked off in the past by the inability to cross-reference Peake codes to SAE P-numbers. :pissed2 Does anyone know if such a cross-reference exists or can be made? DT?

#3 ·
Peake code of "DWA/EWS input" on your 1995 525i means: Alarm System and EWS is drive away protection-alarm system.

As to cross reference? you need to do the math because peake codes are in hex format while the dealer's in decimal format. To convert:
left digit X 16 + right digit
For letter from (A to F) use (10 to 15) so code 1B in hex = 27
regards
billb

#4 ·
Bill, you sure are an amazing guy. :D

Jday,
Am I to understand that the vehicle dies while driving or is it after you shut it off it will intermittently not restart? When it doesnt start it cranks over but doesnt start or does it not crank at all? It seems as though you have had some battery issues since you mentioned that the radio reads code and that you had the battery on a trickle charger. Make certain 1st and foremost that the battery is good along with the charging system as this is the heart of the vehicles electrical system. Once you know for a fact that is ok then you can confirm whether or not you have additional problems. While I havent used the peake tool and cant give much of a cross reference I can tell you that the only real EWS code that is going to store in the DME is going to be a ISN code. Meaning that the EWS control module is not supplying the DME with the correct ISN (individual serial #.) 1st you need to determine of this is really a true "hard" fault or this is a fault that was triggered via low battery voltage. If it is a true code that will not clear then you may have a bad EWS module or some other problem. These kinds of problems will most likely require a professional auto technician to be resolved. So my advise is to do what you can as far as charging battery and testing it and the charging system and then if it goes beyond that, seek professional help.
DT

#5 ·
Wow Bill, you are The Source. I need to print out your note and cut it out and pin it up in my garage, or else (unlike you) I'll forget what exactly that conversion is. Better yet, maybe I'll just put it all into Excel and let Excel create the conversion table and then just clip those into my Bentley manual. Yeah, that's the ticket....

#6 ·
Originally posted by Eric S.@Feb 4 2005, 06:13 AM
Wow Bill, you are The Source.  I need to print out your note and cut it out and pin it up in my garage, or else (unlike you) I'll forget what exactly that conversion is.  Better yet, maybe I'll just put it all into Excel and let Excel create the conversion table and then just clip those into my Bentley manual.  Yeah, that's the ticket....
[snapback]285640[/snapback]​
Well Eric/DT-- thank your God dealers don't use "Binary numbering system" for fault codes-- fault code: 0100100100000111100101010101100101010100 Eric's garage clips,excell or even access won't do this one! :nono :nono

#7 ·
Finally, someone who understands the codes!! I knew there would be SOMEONE out there!! I did finally get the codes to read on the OBDI system. As I suspected it was the low battery that was messing things up. However, there were no more codes stored as I had cleared the codes with the Peake tool because of some earlier advice. Anyway, I think it is going to go to the car doctor!!

Do you have any idea how to put the code back in the radio? I have the code, just no instructions on how to put it in. Danged used cars that don't have all the manuals with them!! Keeps life interesting!

Thanks so much for your help!!!!!! :wink

#8 ·
It died after it was started and has never started again since. It cranks and cranks until the battery goes dead but never starts. When I was pumping on the gas peddle to read the OBDI codes I could smell gas so I know it is pumping gas to the engine but it never quite fires--almost but not quite! The radio reads code because we removed the battery to get it to the trickle charger, it didn't read code before that--it just ran low when we tried to start it. The code is now cleared out because I reset it with the Peake tool but I still can't get it started. We even tried to jump start it with another vehicle and it still wouldn't start so it has to be something else besides the battery. It's going to the doctor!! Get out the checkbook!!

Thanks for your help! It's much appreciated!! Have a great day and a great weekend!! :yup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.