Duals - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zoomzoom is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Duals

I have a 545i and wondered if dual exhaust could be added. I would like to have the rear effect the same as the M5. My BMW dealer said no, could not be done. Anybody know differently? Thanks, ZZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Ya, you can adapt an m5 exhaust to work, or just have something custom fabbed. Cutting the rear bumper to duct the dual exhaust shouldnt be hard for a competant customs shop. We add custom dual exhausts to vehicles daily.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy

Thanks, and that is what I suspected would be the case. Don't know why by BMW dealer would say couldn't be done. I was thinking that buying a new M5 to accomplished the task of having dual exhaust would not be cost effective :lol:

Any engine mods necessary?

Thanks, ZZ
#4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
you wouldn't need to modify the engine, just the exhaust past the headers. As for making it work with the bumper ... just get a m5 bumper.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=... just get a m5 bumper.[/QUOTE]

Well, thats one way to always be in front of a M5.
ZZ
#6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 08:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Since you mentioned the car is a 545, I know it isn't an E39 (probably an E60). Don't know if this holds for an E60, but the reason M5 duals cannot be installed on the E39 is due to the fact that on the 540 there is no space for a passenger side muffler thanks to the battery and full-size spare tire compartment hanging down into that space. The E39 M5 has a raised battery and a smaller spare tire compartment which provides space for the passenger side muffler of the dual-ex.

There is a guy on the Roadfly forum who actually had someone make the appropriate cuts and welds to modify his rear floorpan structure to mimick an M5 and thus allow mounting of M5 exhaust. Naturally he capped it off with an M5 bumper. Niiice......

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Guess I will have to look into this. All my toys have duals - well the 545 is my wife's - ZZ

http://photobucket.com/albums/e200/dochill/
#8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:06 PM
4th Gear Member

So my point was that it certainly CAN be done, but it requires extensive moficiation and expense. As evidenced by the V-10 Viper-powered '70 'Cuda I saw sell on the Barrett-Jackson auction, just about anything is possible, given enough money and time.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:25 PM
4th Gear Member

Here is the link to that roadfly post I mentioned where someone actually altered the rear structure of his 540 to allow true dual exhaust. Please read it to get an understanding of what must be done:
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e39/7037998-6.html

Also, Eisenmann makes the most highly regarded aftermarket exhaust for the BMW. One of their options is a dual exhaust with a fake plate for the passenger side in lieu of a full muffler. Here is their E60 dual exhaust: http://www.eisenhaus.com/ehprice.php...=44&Submit.y=7

Good luck with alllll that. SHare photos with us if you do anything radical!!

Last edited by Eric S.; 01-27-2006 at 09:29 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you very much Eric. I will certainly consider all that you have provided. Perhaps I will do something radical, like changing the 545 for a M5 -I was disappointed that I did not get the M5 back when it was last available - settled for the 545, which has (and still is) been an outstanding car. The M3 is a little small but fun. I'll see what the year brings. Thanks again. ZZ

Edit: Wow, the pictures really look good. I like the result.

Last edited by zoomzoom; 01-28-2006 at 10:55 AM.
#11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:17 PM
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom
Thank you very much Eric. I will certainly consider all that you have provided. Perhaps I will do something radical, like changing the 545 for a M5 -I was disappointed that I did not get the M5 back when it was last available - settled for the 545, which has (and still is) been an outstanding car. The M3 is a little small but fun. I'll see what the year brings. Thanks again. ZZ

Edit: Wow, the pictures really look good. I like the result.
One other bit of news - the 545 is now the 550 in the 2006 model year. Unlike previous 5-series V8s, the sales brochures claim the 550 now has rack-and-pinion steering, long an advantage held by the i-6 5-ers on us V8 guys. So now you can have both rack-and-pinion AND a pavement-ripping 360 HP 4.8 liter V8. It still only has exhaust exiting one side, but Eisenmann appears ready to help (for about $1000 or so I hear). Best to you.

#12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Eric. The 550 will be updated in March - If you know a delaer and if you can, look at the (Company confidential) Product Planning and Strategy BMW Dealer Bulletin - MY 2007 5 Series Product Update -
No doubt, the price will be updated as well.
ZZ
#13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
You dont need to extensively modify all that stuff, just use an exhaust system like that on teh escalade or a old chevelle where they have underbody mufflers and then a y-pipe which branches off and has a exhaust pipe branched under each side with only one main muffler.

Much easier to do the fab work for that kind of setup, should only need to route the tubing around the underbody work and not make any provisions for modifying the chassis other then cutting out the bumper.

#14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Pandemonium Director

The person who went through all that fab work to install that dual exhaust was retarded. Not needed. Not needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)