"door Open" - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:25 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FŽanor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FŽanor Send a message via MSN to FŽanor
(Thread Starter)
I own an e34 1991 535i. Whenever the car is moving, the check control display says, "DOOR OPEN". This wouldn't be a problem, if it weren't accompanied by an intensely annoying gong at certain times: always when pulling out in first gear, and many times just at random when driving. It seems to gong more often on a bumpy road.

I'm assuming it's a faulty sensor or switch in one of the doors, but beyond that, I'm at a loss.... The only thing obviously abnormal in that area I can think of is that the driver's door doesn't stay open by itself. I don't think that has anything to do with it though...

Any advice is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 06:33 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
If the car has high mileage, I have seen them rust out around the doors' pinswitch, and you saying the door doesnt hold itself open is another sign of that happening. Check where the little rod that is supposed to hold the door open. Check for what looks like ripped metal. I'll bet that is where the water is coming in, rusting where the pinswitch is mounted, and having that come loose, possibly grounding when you hit a bump. May be another problem but I've seen where people let the door swing open hard (via wind or just letting go) and rip the mount for the door stop out of the jamb.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear Member

bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
The switch for this is built in the door striker This is the part the door catch locks on to on the pillars, You can check these by watching the interior lights as they operate both. The gong is normally mounted on the kick panel above the pedals if you want disconnect it.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 08:22 PM
n00b

FŽanor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FŽanor Send a message via MSN to FŽanor
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by bad man working@Feb 24 2005, 01:48 PM
The switch for this is built in the door striker This is the part the door catch locks on to on the pillars, You can check these by watching the interior lights as they operate both. The gong is normally mounted on the kick panel above the pedals if you want disconnect it.
[snapback]298503[/snapback]

Thank you!

I discovered the switch snooping around the door earlier today, but nowhere could I find information on where the gong is mounted. Apparently the door isn't pushing the switch in far enough when closed, because when I held it down with my finger while driving, the "Door Open" went away, and came back with a gong when I let my finger off. I'm going to attempt a half-arsed slapstick repair to hold the switch down, but if it fails, I can disconnect the gong.

Sincere thanks to both of you guys for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)