Door Locks Gone Haywire! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Keep it Copacetic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down

I need an intelligent response to this question. If you smart and worthy answer please post. I think I know what is wrong but I want to hear other opinions first.

Ok here it goes. It has been happening for a month now.

1989 BMW e34 m20 525iA 272,000 miles

Both front doors permanently unlocked. Rear left door permanently locked. Back right door is the only one that works.

Locks are rock solid and won't move.

When the car is unlocked by turning the key, it sounds as if all the locks click to unlock. The rear right door (only working one) unlocks and then immediately ocks again. Turn the key to the unlock position again and it unlocks and stays unlocked. The trunk locks also work. When unlocked formt he trunk, same result occurs.

This is pissing me off. can't keep valuables in my car anymore unless I lock them in the trunk. besides the fact that it is embarassing.

Honestly can someone help or has experienced this before on their 5er or other series?

I ask the moderators if it is OK that I copy and post this in multiple sections in which I know intelligent help is availible. This is for urgency and exposure.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 12:40 AM
n00b

backindauk is an unknown quantity at this point
I am having trouble with the front passenger (left front door) lock. It seems that the connection from the actuator to the lock mechanism is broken as i can still see some movement in the door pin.
I have not pulled apart the door yet to figure it out, but BMW service said that was the likely cause of the issue.

Maybe in your case the actuators are broken? is there any movement at all? Do the lock pins move when you "lock" it? Can you move the pins with your hand (manual lock)?
#3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:27 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
No I cannot move them at all. I'm not an expert by any means in the BMW locking system. Since my lcoks show slight movement but cannot physically be moved, does this mean my door acutator is broken?

Is there any simple way to explain what mechnical parts are involved?

Thanks for the help!

#4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:13 AM
n00b

It sounds as if you have the same problem as me. I can only slightly move the lock pins, but it does lock the door (just not with central locking)

The actuator is located in the centre of the door and connected to the pin assembly and door handle via some kind of cable/rod. I think this may be the problem.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
So there are 4 door acutators? At like $80 a piece? Assuming the rods and nonsense arent the issue.

#6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 08:46 PM
n00b

bgwoody is an unknown quantity at this point
My 1989 535 high mileage car started having lock / unlocking problems. Pulling the door panels with the Bentley manual as my guide, I found the drivers door sheet metal lock acuator mount broken. Replacing the sheetmetal parts, lubing and adjusting did the trick. If one lock acts up the whole thing goes nuts> I would start with the driver door since it gets the most abuse.
#7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 02:18 AM
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by ///M Power@May 19 2005, 12:16 PM
So there are 4 door acutators? At like $80 a piece? Assuming the rods and nonsense arent the issue.
[snapback]345773[/snapback]
Correct. Yet BMW service tells me they are $195 each (Australian)

If there is some movement when you operate the central locking system then i assume you have working actuators (maybe the sheet metal mounts are broken as bgwoody has described above)

I'm going to pull apart the door now.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:21 AM
n00b

walster is an unknown quantity at this point
hi guys,

i'm having a similar problem....three doors plus the trunk will lock, but the drivers' side doesn't, unless i enter the car from the passengers' side and push down the drivers' side nob, then proceed to lock the door.....
#9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
Yeah it's a common problem so i knew a bunch of people would know about it. There seems to be a little movement/shake int he lock whenever I try and lock/unlock it but it doesnt budge.

Can anyone describe to me what i am looking for? Maybe a picture? i want to take a look at it after work today but I really wish i knew what exactly is broken and needs to be replaced. i wont be off till 5 pm. BMW Parts department closes by then. Anyone know the price of this sheet metal thing? And possibly i shall only have to replace one, correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)