Do I Have To Buy Coolant From The Dealer? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2004, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ErikB is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

My "Check Coolant Level" warning came on and I need to top it off. Can I got to a local auto parts place and get some or do I have to go to the dealer (the dealer says I have to buy only BMW coolant)? If I can get it "locally" what type should I buy to do a top-off?

I've got a 2002 530i (the current level is about an inch below the filler neck).
ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
the dealership stuff is best,, spend the extra few bucks
Old 10-16-2004, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Go to PEP Boys or Auto Zone and pick up some ZEREX G-05, it is the same stuff the Europeans use and at PEP boys was $8.99 per gallon (on Wednesday).
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Furious is right in that the green anti freeze tends to build up over long time in the coolant lines. In fact I had a first hand experience when I changed my engine the coolant lines had this sand like whitish colored build up in them. Though it won't be a problem for those who change it once twice a year. I'll stick with the dealers redish stuff from now on; the difference in pricing is not that much.
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
I would only recomend you buy the recommended coolant from the dealership...the additives are different than what you would buy at Pep-Boys, Checker, etc...even if only slightly *and even if the fluid also happens to be blue as well* a small difference could make a BIG difference in how your cooling system performs.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
'89 635 csi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Oct 16 2004, 09:58 PM
Furious is right in that the green anti freeze tends to build up over long time in the coolant lines. In fact I had a first hand experience when I changed my engine the coolant lines had this sand like whitish colored build up in them. Though it won't be a problem for those who change it once twice a year. I'll stick with the dealers redish stuff from now on; the difference in pricing is not that much.
[snapback]212573[/snapback]
Red? The dealership by me always gives me blue stuff! I wonder what the difference is?
'84 528e - Soon to be 533i
'96 Jeep Cherokee 4WD
OO=[][]=OO
'89 635 csi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Red? The dealership by me always gives me blue stuff! I wonder what the difference is?

TO: 635csi

All cooling system antifreeze products are NOT created equal. Some is methanol based and some is glycol based. As you can see many people think antifreeze is antifreeze there is no difference. Not so fast!
In newer cars "silicate" is needed to protect aluminum engine parts and radiators from corrosion, and are used in virtually all antifreeze mixtures in different degrees (mixtures if you wish)

Furthermore the redish/orangish antifreezes such as "Dexcool" are the antidote for aluminum components. Since many new cars has an aluminum engine and radiator, the orangish/redish antifreeze would be preferred over the green antifreeze.

Pricing? Dealer too expensive? Take a look at this:

BMW coolant isn't that pricey. Dealers do charge for it about $13 per gallon and yes double price of the Green stuff at the auto store alas pepboys. But when it is mixed 50/50 it means you'll get 2 gallons of coolant. Is this SAFE and Cheap enough?

Regards
billb
Old 10-20-2004, 02:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Oct 20 2004, 05:21 AM

TO: 635csi

All cooling system antifreeze products are NOT created equal. Some is methanol based and some is glycol based. As you can see many people think antifreeze is antifreeze there is no difference. Not so fast!
In newer cars "silicate" is needed to protect aluminum engine parts and radiators from corrosion, and are used in virtually all antifreeze mixtures in different degrees (mixtures if you wish)

Furthermore* the redish/orangish antifreezes such as "Dexcool" are the antidote* for aluminum components. Since many new cars has an aluminum engine and radiator, the orangish/redish antifreeze would be preferred over the green antifreeze.

Pricing? Dealer too expensive? Take a look at this:

BMW coolant isn't that pricey.* Dealers do charge for it about $13 per gallon* and yes double price of the Green stuff at the auto store alas pepboys. But when it is mixed 50/50 it means you'll get 2 gallons of coolant. Is this SAFE and Cheap enough?

Regards
billb
[snapback]214512[/snapback]
Methanol based coolant is hardly ever used over here anymore as Glycol took over some time ago, mostly because it doesn't clog or rot hoses and doesn't corrode aluminium parts as much . A good quality Glycol will do exactly the same job as the dealers coolant - Do you think BMW actually manufacture their own coolant? - NO they buy it in from somewhere, of course they are carefult to buy good quality stuff and will test it stringently but at the end of the day good quality glycol is good quality glycol - as long as it works to the same temp as the dealers stuff what's the problem?. At the end of the day many bmw owners do not use bmw for their services/repairs, do their cars suddenly stop cos they've not got bmw coolant, bmw oil, bmw antifreeze, bmw sparkplugs etc. etc. etc. in them??
At the end of the day bmw franchises will most likely be able to buy from where they want anyway - hence bill = red fluid 89 635 csi = blue, so that kinda blows a rather large hole in the argument "use what the dealers use".
BeelZibub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
you would be surprised how many car , especially 5 series that ive seen with a sludge built up in the hoses and reserve tank because they have used so antifreeze that didnt work so well... if anything try your best to stay away from prestone antifreeze, that seems to be the worst.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Car: 97 540IA, 95 840CI
Photos:
LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
ErikB,

Get the dealer coolant!

I have been told by my mechanic (I also read this somewhere, manual maybe??) that later models 99 and on, required a specific coolant because of the radiator. These were fabricated with different matl's that can corrode faster if you use different stuff.... Spend the extra dollars and you'll be glad. Trust me, I rather give my business to a small shop.

LOS
LOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Beel Z

Although you made a very convincing argument; I agree with both 325is baby and LOS and It looks like I will continue to use the dealer stuff regardless. Now allow me to make my case please:

A. whether it is green, blue, red or pink it doesn't matter as long as:
(1) it is good quality stuff and
(2) it gets flushed out at its recommended intervals. That is changing the antifreeze just like any other fluid-even it is so called life-time (that is tranny fluid)
(3) Though unrelated here: fluids do loose their chemical properties over time (I am talking the life-time tranny fluid here-in my earlier post) My new position will be CHANGE IT..I don't have any COLD shifting delays anymore. As you know I did change it because of the flood...I thought I will loose the tranny...I did not ..runs way much better!! It was really very dirty DARK life-time fluid.

B. As you all know I just removed the whole engine out of the car and I saw what I saw (sludge; whitish alien things in the coolant lines/same held true in the tranny's) I did use the green stuff years ago ( I had the car since 1997) I did not know what I know now!

C. The whole point of the above argument (hence my reply to 635is) boils down to this: When I pay double the price at the dealer and mix these colors (call it pink; red plus navy blue ice cream) with 50% water; I get double the volume; or better yet, the same price as the prestone at the auto parts store. Why bother with auto parts if I can get it from the hourse's mouth...May be psychological? and Beel Z yes I do agree with you on the psychological parts but there is a Russian saying: "If you choose to sleep in a grave yard; don't complain about having nightmares. grave yards= some auto parts/gas stations. Check your Email for a little related true story!!

D. Yes we do know all dealers (not only BMW) DO NOT invent their own antifreeze; and many other things too...think radios, tires among many other components!! Did anyone ever heard of BMW brand tires?

regards
Billb
Old 10-21-2004, 03:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Oct 21 2004, 02:26 AM
Beel Z

Although you made a very convincing argument; I agree with both 325is baby and LOS and It looks like I will continue to use the dealer stuff regardless. Now allow me to make my case please:

A. whether it is green, blue, red or pink it doesn't matter as long as:
(1) it is good quality stuff and
(2)* it gets flushed out at its recommended intervals. That is changing the antifreeze just like any other fluid-even it is so called life-time (that is tranny fluid)
(3) Though unrelated here: fluids do loose their chemical properties over time (I am* talking the life-time tranny fluid here-in my earlier post) My new position will be CHANGE IT..I don't have any COLD shifting delays anymore. As you know I did change it because of the flood...I thought I will loose the tranny...I did not ..runs way much better!! It was really very dirty DARK life-time fluid.

B. As you all know I just removed the whole engine out of the car and I saw what I saw (sludge; whitish alien things in the coolant lines/same held true in the tranny's) I did use the green stuff years ago ( I had the car since 1997) I did not know what I know now!

C. The whole point of the above argument (hence my reply to 635is)* boils down to this: When I pay double the price at the dealer and mix these colors (call it pink; red plus navy blue ice cream) with 50% water; I get double the volume; or better yet, the same price as the prestone at* the auto parts store. Why bother with auto parts if I can get it from the hourse's mouth...May be psychological? and Beel Z yes I do agree with you on the psychological parts but there is a* Russian saying: "If you choose to* sleep in a grave yard; don't complain about having nightmares. grave yards= some auto parts/gas stations. Check your Email for a little related true story!!

D. Yes we do know all dealers (not only BMW) DO NOT invent their own antifreeze; and many other things too...think radios, tires among many other components!! Did anyone ever heard of BMW brand tires?

regards
Billb
[snapback]215176[/snapback]
AHHH Bill, not heard from you for a while - hope you're keeping well.
I think the most poignant part of my argument was that each franchised dealer will use what ever antifreeze they decide they want to use, this may be based around quality but most likely cost will come into it - hence the different types used in 635's your 97 and my 98 (blue glycol based) and yes mine has a full BMW history. If this is true you are just as well off choosing a good quality glycol based coolant yourself as at least you know what's going into it - Just my personal opinion but I think anyone that thinks even BMW franchises care a jot about your car sanding up in the hoses must be a bit mad.
BeelZibub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Dear Beel z
I think anyone that thinks even BMW franchises care a jot about your car sanding up in the hoses must be a bit mad.

I couldn't ask for a better answer than yours.
regards
billb
Old 10-21-2004, 04:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
It does not matter what dealership you go to *I only refer to BMW with this comment* only uses BMW approved fluids, parts, and quality service when it comes to their products. They do not want you constantly coming back to them week after week, that just makes for a pissed off customer that probably won't buy from BMW again...is that good business NO. not for the Manufacture OR the dealer! Our job is to keep you happy, your car running properly, and you continuing to be a happy customer that will buy from us again.

Off the subject, yes...I once again will suggest ONLY put the recommended fluid in your vehicle! This will help to ensure you that your car will operate the way it was designed to operate, which only helps in prolonging the life of the vehicle.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
325isBaby

I have to agree with your assessment in fact here is a word of caution (off topic but related): Many independent mechanics do pay their dues when working for BMW dealers for years then at one point in time decide to open up their own business. Providing they arm themselves with the right diagnostic tools and the good quality stuff (oil, antifreeze, parts etc) they can do a job as good as the dealer's.

Taking you as an example: I know you went for many years to school learning the fundamentals; if you work for a BMW dealer let us say 5-10 years; then open up a service; I am positive you will provide your customers with the best parts/service--providing you keep your equipment/yourself up to date in technology. In today's engine managment systems no mechanic can afford to stay behind. Yes?

regards
billb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)