BMW Werkz banner

Dilemma...to scrap or to fix?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rjr 
#1 ·
Hey there,
I had recently purchased a 1988 528 e and it is a very solid car with 180,000 miles on it. I don't know how to work on cars but there is really no work that needs to go into this car...however, I have the following problems:

a.) there is a lag in the steering...I got used to it, but if I want to sell the car, people may not appreciate the gap...and the steering gearbox is like $650. I know there are several things you can do to fix it (I read up) but cant do it myself.

b.) there is an electrical leak and the new battery I put in it is now dead after only a few days of installing it.

Now I love the 5 series beemers - my first car was 1983 525 and I loved that. What do you think I should do?

a.) Sell it as is to someone
b.) get the gearbox fixed at a local mechanic (w/out purchasing new gearbox)
c.) take it to the local BMW dealer and get raped in price
d.) sell the car off in parts

I would like to keep it for now, but its just sitting there and I don't know what to do. Any help would be great!! :confused:

Thanks!
freshfish

See less See more
#2 ·
The steering box may very well be just out of adjustment and if its anything like the e34's, there probably is a screw on the top of the box.

As for the battery problem, it could be small. go to small shops and get an opinion, then an estimate.

I say keep it, they're great cars ! :)

#4 ·
WITH THE CAR OFF REMOVE ONE FUSE AT A TIME. THE FUSE THAT CREATES A SPARK IS DRAWING CURRENT. BE ADVISED THAT some circuits are normally energized when the car is off. The clock, alarms etc are examples. Most of the time your problem is caused by a light that did not go out when you closed the hood trunk glove box or whatever.

rjr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.