BMW Werkz banner

Definition of "Irony" (new battery for the 540)

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Eric S. 
#1 ·
IRONY: On a hunch and with opportunity I decide to purchase a new battery for my mother’s 1998 Civic tonight while at Sam’s Club to get her tires rebalanced and rotated (She's 71, I'm 43). Later the same evening I dropped off her car at the State Inspection station near my house. My 5-er was just inspected there today, so it was to be a drop-off-and-pick-up deal all by myself (my wife stopped there earlier in the day and got the 540’s key for me, but didn’t drive it home). So I get there at about 8:30pm to do the key drop (they were closed) and exchange cars. I write down the info, put my mom’s car key into the envelope, and put it through the slot in the locked door. I then got in my BMW to go home and guess what – the battery was dead!! That’s right – it kind of clicked and the lights flashed, but it wouldn’t start! :eek:

Pretty IRONIC, huh? Well, here’s even more irony for ya:

Fortunately for me, the janitor dude was there and let me have the Civic keys back from the night drop slot and even loaned me some jumper cables so that I could use the Civic and its new battery to jump-start the BMW!!! :rolleyes:

The 1999 540 still has its original battery from when it was manufactured in 10/1998, so it is now 7 years old and it is definitely time for a new one. I will be visiting Sears tomorrow to get a new Die Hard “International” battery – Group 49 – and which will be $109.99 plus tax and installation (installation was free at Sam’s Club, which doesn’t carry Group 49-size batteries).

PS – The Civic’s surprisingly compact size 51R Exide battery at Sam’s Club was a mere $36.24, with free installation and a 24/84 warranty. I know Exide batteries suck, but that’s a good price and a good warranty…

That is all.

See less See more
#3 ·
If only every E39 issue were as easy...

If only every E39 failure were as easy to diagnose and fix, eh? :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.