dashboard displays temperature - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 91/BMW/535i
Photos:
DonJ is on a distinguished road
dashboard displays temperature

So is it normal for my E34 to randomly display the outdoor air temperature on the dashboard LED display?

I guess it is just an FYI that it is 34 degrees F or 30 degrees F or whatever the temperature is - seems to only do it in cold weather.

Whenever I hear the little tone go off and a mesage appears, I panic at first because I first think there's a problem.

So is it just an FYI or is there some other reason it is telling me this?

Thanks!
DonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kai
4th Gear Member

Car: E39 Alpine White 528i, E34-Sold.
Photos:
Kai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud ofKai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
It is because the temperature is nearing or below freezing, a little warning to let you know to be careful because of the obvious dangerous situations that occur when it is cold and there is water on a road somewhere. Hope this helps. Don't worry about anything, my E34 did it and my E39 does it (even when it drops to 37 actually).
Old 11-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
All BMWs do that. Definitely takes time to get used to it.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Great - thanks for the info. I figured it was an FYI - but like I said, every time I hear the tone - I'm afraid to look at the message because it might be a problem.

I've been getting the "Brake LT circuit" message lately but the brakes lights work fine. It could be the switch but I also read that if you don't use BMW light bulbs, then you could eventualy get the message because the copper part of the bulb is different than the BMW bulb and the system see's less resistance in the circuit therefore it gives you the message.

I guess there is such a thing as Too Much Information - lol
Old 11-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
haha that's not even the worst. wait until you start getting the low washer fluid and the like.

that said, the e34 is pretty amazing for its age. it will let you know when you're low on oil, when pretty much every other fluid is low, when any bulb is out ...

btw, take a look at the Bentley/general e34 thread I posted at the top of the 5 series forum; there is a file in there showing how to unlock the OBC to access even more hidden stuff ... sort of like a video game except better.

As much as I love the e36, I miss my e34s.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
You are right Torque - they are good cars.

I bought this car (91 535i) last spring from a friend for $800 - I am the 3rd owner and it now has 163K miles on it and it has new tires.

So far I have put about $900 in to it - fuel pump, filters, spark plugs, side marker lights, fuel tank door hinge, bowden cable on drivers door, thrust arms and bushings, glove box latch, battery and brake work. It has been an easy car to work on - I have done all the work except getting the front rotors turned and the rear rotors replaced. I also fixed the twisted seat back problem and power head rest at no cost.

These formus are the reason why I've been able to do all the work myself. In the days prior to the internet - I would've been taking the car to a mechanic most of the time. It's amazing how many people are willing to help out and it is much appreciated.

I still have a few things to fix on the car but nothing major - new fog lamps, windshield washer nozzles (expensive little buggers - must be the built in heaters), hazard light switch. There is no major body damage - few scratches, one small dent in right front fender. Paint is a bit faded in a few places but we live in a desert and we get a lot of heat and sun. Interior is OK - seats came unstitched at the seams in a few places.

Other than that - it's a good car and I feel pretty comfortable letting my two teenagers drive it to school. LOL - how many kids can say they drive a 5 series to school?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJ View Post
You are right Torque - they are good cars.

I bought this car (91 535i) last spring from a friend for $800 - I am the 3rd owner and it now has 163K miles on it and it has new tires.

So far I have put about $900 in to it - fuel pump, filters, spark plugs, side marker lights, fuel tank door hinge, bowden cable on drivers door, thrust arms and bushings, glove box latch, battery and brake work. It has been an easy car to work on - I have done all the work except getting the front rotors turned and the rear rotors replaced. I also fixed the twisted seat back problem and power head rest at no cost.

These formus are the reason why I've been able to do all the work myself. In the days prior to the internet - I would've been taking the car to a mechanic most of the time. It's amazing how many people are willing to help out and it is much appreciated.

I still have a few things to fix on the car but nothing major - new fog lamps, windshield washer nozzles (expensive little buggers - must be the built in heaters), hazard light switch. There is no major body damage - few scratches, one small dent in right front fender. Paint is a bit faded in a few places but we live in a desert and we get a lot of heat and sun. Interior is OK - seats came unstitched at the seams in a few places.

Other than that - it's a good car and I feel pretty comfortable letting my two teenagers drive it to school. LOL - how many kids can say they drive a 5 series to school?
Sounds like a great buy IMO, but then again, we've had 4 e34s in the past few years so really any e34 sounds like a great buy to me.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)