BMW Werkz banner

Cupholder Solution?

8K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  thejobman 
#1 ·
I have looked at "http://ultimatecupholders.com/" product and I just do not feel comfortable with having my drink near my foot, while driving. I definitely do not like the idea of reaching down to grab it while driving either. Plus, I don’t think I am going to pay $35 for a bent piece of plastic!

I saw this (and many similar examples) today on ebay:

Eyewear Glasses Personal protective equipment Wood Moustache

What if you where to attatch suction cups to the bottom of the above cupholder...

and place it here:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console

I think this should work... and it might not look as cool as the rest of the interior, but it can be removed and then reattached when need again...

What do you guys think?

See less See more
#4 ·
Some ideas

thejobman said:
Maybe it's just a "IT person" thing... our fuel is coffee... and coffee spills in my 540i == not cool
1. http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/competitors.html
(Last option is the shoe)

2. I use this:
http://www.care4car.com/productimages/3869summit handy car cup holder.jpg
(hooked on the drivers side of center console).

3. Just an idea but we can try fabricating a keyboard cover (like those in the mechanic shop to cover the keyboard) to cover the display and cig socket.
So a spill is not catastrophic.

cn

#5 ·
the problem with cupholder that you showed, and stock ones is that they both block AC controls when in use. It's a bitch if you need to cahnge the temperature because you got to take out the drink with one hand, change the temp with the other one, and yeah --- you're f*cked because your hands are not on the wheel. This is true especially if you need to defrost windows.
that's why the side holder works. it blocks nothing, and reaching isn't hard since its positioned at a level where you can easily reach by straightening your arms

#6 ·
The problem with all those other places is that if you have a spill, it's going into your switchgear, etc. (it sux when your door lock and emergency flasher buttons jam). With the "ultimatecupholder" product, the only place a spill goes is onto the floor.

I have two of them (ultimatecupholder) and find that the location is perfect (atleast on the driver's side) and they do NOT get in the way of my foot or leg at all, and can hold even the largest beverage. They won't be good if you're under about 5'-7" because then the front of the seat will run afoul of them.

I LOVE my cupholders! I doubt you'll find someone "loving" one of those other half-a$$ed solutions. Except for maybe the high-top sneaker...:p

#11 ·
Pictures (or link)? I'm deff interested... I asked for that huge 4 cup holder tray this morning and balanced it inbetween the amrrest and the shifter. I had to rip out the front right corner so that I could shift it into 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

It worked... kinda.. lol

#16 ·
thejobman said:
I had two just like that lower one in my erstwhile 1994 Legeng GS, which originally came with no cupholders at all, in the grand tradition of the contemporary E34's of the time. Very versatile, though somewhat fragile. Can't hold the biggest drinks, but can far exceed what the OEM cupholders can handle. Simple enough to replace, and cheap too. That one gets my vote.

#17 ·
I think the 2nd is the best choice for me as well. I will probably order one to just try it out...

I wonder if I can place it in the driver side door panel instead of the side of the center console...

I will be ordering one soon, let you guys know how it works out.

wow didnt know I could be so excited about cupholders haha

#18 ·
Here is where it was mounted in my Legend (look closely at lower part of door). Just don't slam the door if a drink is in there!

Attachments

#19 ·
#20 ·
thejobman said:
check out the cupholder I just ordered:

View attachment 23914

I got it on ebay for $18, shipped.

About cupholder #2, shown in the above post, it can be found for less than $20 shipped on various ebay vendors, i.e.:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8067621739&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
I couldn't open your attachment for some reason.

Cupholder #2, in plain black color as depicted in the e-Bay ad, can be purchased at Pep Boys for about $6 to $8. I once bought one with a "fancy" fake wood sticker on it!

The really nice ones, in colors to match most interiors (like what I had in my Legend) are a bit more expensive and are probably more in line with $20 or even higher. The guts are the same, but that nice outer trim shell is what costs. My Legend cupholders were purchased from Beverly Hills Motoring accessories (are they still in business?) and at last check (about 5 years ago) they were $40 each...

#21 ·
winters97E39 said:

This one is from bavarian autosport (http://www.bavauto.com) but is the same as the one from BMW

from bavarian autosport, it is $89.95, part number CH001E39

I have this in my E39 M5. While it is probably the best solution out there.... It really screws with shifting. When there is a cup in their you can't shift properly.

So I'm still seeking a better solution. My wife always has a cup of something and she always puts it there. And I'm ALWAYS having issues trying to shift cause her f'king cup is in the way.

Need a passenger cup hold that is totally out of the way of the driver.

#22 ·
Eric- Here is the pic of the cupholder I bought, I do not understand why it didn’t render last time.

White Black Line

Trevize- I think this cupholder would work better for you as well since it can be mounted on the passenger side, out of your arm's way. Additionally, it is far more sturdy than cupholder #2 (from post #14), as you can see from the above picture. It is used as the OEM cupholder in previous generation E-class.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.