Cup holder replacement? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 08:21 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Redcell is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Cup holder replacement?

I just picked up a new cup holder for my 01 e39(The old one was broke when I bought the car). Now my question is how do I get the old cupholder out and the new one in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Front or rear?
#3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:05 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Its the front one.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 09:12 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Its already done. Not much to it. Thanks anyway
#5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 AM
n00b

msfink is on a distinguished road
I have an 02 525 with a broken cup holder. I need to replace it and tried to get the old one out. I removed the 2 screws inside the unit but the darn thing won't slide out.

How does this old unit come out?
#6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:24 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Mine dident want to come out as well. If you notice that on the new cupholder on the top there is a plastic clip or lip. I stuck a flate head screwdrive in the top middle part of the cup holder and work it really slowup and down. And then the clip finally gave.The old clip busted and slid right out. And the new cupholder went right back into place. Ill get some picture when I get home tonight of the new one. I would be careful you can scratch up your console doing this.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
My suggestion would actually be to forget the stock cupholder and instead buy the ultimate cupholder that slides into your change tray. You should be able to pick it up from Bavauto.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:54 AM
n00b

Redcell - are you saying i need to break the old one to get it out and that I need to alter the new one to get it in? This means the only thing securing the new one is the 2 screws - right?
#9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
My suggestion would actually be to forget the stock cupholder and instead buy the ultimate cupholder that slides into your change tray. You should be able to pick it up from Bavauto.
We just wanted it fixed so our car is flawless.Wehavebeen lookinginto aftermarket cupholders.But alwaysnice to have everything in working order.

No you dont have to break it to get it out mine just broke because I used a little to much umph. But if you work it real slow and easy it should come right out.Im getting pics now.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Sorry but the car is in need of a good wash we got back from a road trip to San Deigo.

#11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 08:50 AM
n00b

Thanks. All done. I picked a replacement part and noticed the upper cover. When pulling the old one out, i needed to push it in and down to be sure that upper piece did not catch on the frame. It came out quite easily after that adn the new one went in 1-2-3.

Thanks for the help!
#12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:10 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Np
#13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Trevize will become famous soon enough Trevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
Cup Holders grrrrrr

In my E39 M5 the stock ones are worthless... We all know that..

The "ultimate cup holder" is nothing all that great either. I mean it's ok when I'm on a highway cruising but if you have to shift there's a freaking cup in the f'ing way! My wife also must always have a cup of something and insists on using the center cup holder. I've been known to sit at green lights stopped and glare at her to move her f'ing cup so I can shift.

I'm still looking for a real cup holder solution for my M5. Especially one for the passenger.
#14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 11:37 AM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevize
Cup Holders grrrrrr
I'm still looking for a real cup holder solution for my M5. Especially one for the passenger.
Holy cow, don;t have cup holders, and it's not the end of the world. I just use a re-useable, insulated cup that doesn't waste paper cups, and the top screws on for a liquid-tight seal, no spills to worry about, no wasting paper/foam cups...

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I saw one that attachs to the center console and kind sit on the floor board. Looked like it work pretty good but the only problem is when you need to get a drink and need to reach down to grab it. Let me find the link for it.

go here and do a part number search.
Bavarian Autosport | BMW Parts and BMW Accessories

This one looks nice but how sturdy is the velcro if you need to slam on the brakes plus about only one size cup can fit in there for $100.
CHE39BW

Not to bad but I dont like it sitting up on the arm rest.
BMW E39-D98

This dose not look that sturdy.
BMW DMDH

Im going to have to go with M3OUND on this one your best bet would be.
BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.

Last edited by Redcell; 09-14-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)