Cracked Rear Differential - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2005, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
DT:

Here it is with pictures....cracked upper carrier...I am thinking Welding instead of changing the whole subframe? Your thought guys.......

[attachmentid=21118]

[attachmentid=21119]

[attachmentid=21120]
Attached Thumbnails
Cracked Rear Differential-axle_picture_007.jpg   Cracked Rear Differential-axle_picture_001.jpg   Cracked Rear Differential-axle_picture_008.jpg  
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2005, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Car: 97 540IA, 95 840CI
Photos:
LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
hey billb,

did you hit something for that to happened?

LOS
LOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Car: 97 540IA, 95 840CI
Photos:
LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
I wonder if the crack has shifted any additional parts fron their original locations... and welding can only buy you time!

LOS
LOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by LOS@Apr 15 2005, 01:36 PM
hey billb,

did you hit something for that to happened?

LOS
[snapback]332907[/snapback]
If that was the case it would been 1/2 the problem....some short sleeve mechanic jacked it up by placing a floor jack under the differential....at least this is what I was told by the BMW dealer when I took it there claiming a defected subframe/welding.....the tech showed me the floor jack marks on the differential.....and no I will not sue...it happens...will try to fix it by myself..welding is a possibility

P.S. I posted the pics for the benefit of our members....here another piece I have changed today.... Also notice the second mark of the floor jack behind the Right rear wheel.

[attachmentid=21138]

[attachmentid=21140]
Attached Thumbnails
Cracked Rear Differential-axle_picture_006.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axle_Picture_013.jpg (304.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 04-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by LOS@Apr 15 2005, 04:59 PM
I wonder if the crack has shifted any additional parts fron their original locations... and welding can only buy you time!

LOS
[snapback]333033[/snapback]
Very good possibility except when you look at the crack you'll see it is (or was) broken original factory weld..I am assuming once the shape of the crack is lined up together it should be OK....Only my own assumption...worse scenario I'll buy the whole SUBFRAME.....
Old 04-15-2005, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm defiantly not good for the home team there. iono how much room you have, i guess you could get enough by dropping the rear diff and the exhaust, but it might be tough to weld it in the car. you would of course be able to clean it up real well and then weld it. it might be tough to get the pieces to align back together just right. iono how experienced you are with a TIG welding but that is defiantly the way to go. but wire feed ,MIG, would be fine too since thats how BMW did it.

looks to me like a bad weld job on BMW's part. if a wled is done right the metal wround it will break before the weld will.
bryan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan1970@Apr 15 2005, 06:37 PM
hmmm defiantly not good for the home team there. iono how much room you have, i guess you could get enough by dropping the rear diff and the exhaust, but it might be tough to weld it in the car. you would of course be able to clean it up real well and then weld it. it might be tough to get the pieces to align back together just right. iono how experienced you are with a TIG welding but that is defiantly the way to go. but wire feed ,MIG, would be fine too since thats how BMW did it.

looks to me like a bad weld job on BMW's part. if a wled is done right the metal wround it will break before the weld will.
[snapback]333094[/snapback]

Bryan Thanks for the reply...Tig welding is on my list in fact called for a quote; they want to charge $210 for tig machine $2000 deposit...minimum one week!!!! or $155 for make machine plus $75 for spool gun deposit $1500.....my other option is to drop the whole thing and fit a new subframe....either way I am hoping to get good pics for the benefit all members....
Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
If you're going to weld then tig weld is the only way to go. In my opinion it is better to replace the carrier though. Im not sure what exact price of carrier is but subtract 200 from that for renting the welder and I think you decide that it is worth just replacing the carrier. best of luck and if you need ANYTHING dont hesitate to ask :-)
DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Thanks DT and this is the deal...I am getting the subframe plus bushings, bolts shipped from Germany this Tuesday will cost as much as the tig rental thing plus I don't trust this welding deal i.e. shifting parts/ driveshaft/tranny may get me into deeper trouble! don't you think?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Car:
Photos:
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond reputeDirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Ya Bill,
I agree 100%. Good luck. Let us all know how it goes.
DT

Dirty_Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Will post some pics for sure..later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)