BMW Werkz banner

Couple questions from a newbie

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SoonerE39 
#1 ·
Hey everyone

First of all, i'd like to say hi. im new to this board, just found it a minute ago (i've been on www.bmwe34.net )

i'm 17 y.o from Oregon, and recently purchased a 1995 525i. i got it for $4900, cuz it has a reconstructed title. it runs fine though, and only has 100k on it. good deal, dont you think?

the only problems with the car that i have/had are/were:
1) AC wasn't work --- now fixed. recharged it myself, easy stuff
2) fog lights are missing - oh well, don care much for them..
3) Fuel Gauge isn't working - MAIN PROBLEM!!!
4) shaking at 60 mph. nothing at 55, and BARELY ANY at 65. - discovered yesterday

so my questions are:
1) How do i get to the fuel tank? I think all it is is just the wire, so i simply need to check that... Might be the sending unit, but hopefully not.

2) the shaking.. is it the suspension arms? or could it be simply wheels weight being out of balance?

3) how do i improve the condition of the leather? any good advice?

4) there's a small leak if you pour water at a high pressure right above the driver door. it's like the seal between the door and the roof isn't very tight. any ideas on that?

#1 is THE most important one to me.. #2 would be nice to fix if possible without putting tons of money in it.

THANKS!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I can 't speak for the fuel tank but for the shaking, I would hope that it is a wheel balance problem so I would take them somewhere to get balanced and inspect the wheels closely. Since it has a rebuilt title, it may still have a damaged rim or driveshaft. Sometimes when damaged vehicles are repaired, they address the cosmetic stuff you can see, and mechanical stuff like the driveshaft doesn't manifest itself as a problem till after the vehicle is repaired and back on the road. Also, I haev read that if the wheel lugs aren't all tightened equally and just right, you might get some shakning there too. But start with the wheels/balancing and hopefully that will fix it. If not, I would be more inclined to think it is a driveshaft problem, rather than a suspension.

I'm sure someone else will come on here with something about the fuel tank question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.