BMW Werkz banner

Coolant, tranny questions...

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  njtech 
#1 ·
Hello guys,
got a couple of questions here...

First - my check control reads "COOLANT LEVEL". however my temp seems to be perfect, at speed or idle. How do I know how much is the right amount in this car?

Second - when i start my car anytime it has had enough sitting time to cool down, i put the gear selector into drive and the RPMs drop down to 500 or less (idle is 900) and the car shakes and studders and sounds like it is about to stall - then it works itself back up to idle speed and all is ok.
Yesterday, i put it into drive and i didnt wait for all the shuttering and RPM fluctuations long enough and i just tried to move , it rolled, but i had VERY little power, then when the RPMs came back up, it clicked and took off very fast.

What could be causing this? Is this a transmission issue or could it be something else? The car has had tranny services all of it's life and it has just had one about 10,000mi. ago - so it should be fine although i haven't checked the fluid yet.

Its a 1990 525 with 124,000 mi.

Thanks !

See less See more
#2 ·
followup:

I removed, cleaned and replaced the ICV and it seems to have cured a good bit of the shuttering proplem when shifting out of park, however im not sure if this is what fixed it or if it was just a coincidence that it didnt happen, ill try again later when it has cooled.

Any replies about the coolant level thing? thanks guys

#3 ·
The last time I had the coolant level light pop up in 2 different 540's, it was the same problem, fine hairline crack in the radiator neck area, top part where the rubber hose attaches to.
The other thing you could look into is the cap for the radiator. There was a recall for the E39's 540, but I dunno about the 525. Pressure could leak and coolant level drop.

Good Luck Sp0rky! :cheers

#4 ·
Oh, and you can check the coolant level by the max. line on the coolant container. I'm not familiar with the 525 but my E34 had a plastic see thru' container right in the center of the engine bay next to the windshield. Even if the level drop below min, the temp is still good, but the light will come on indicating low coolant level.

You might also want to check the plastic container and connecting hoses for leaks.

#5 ·
there is a plastic container close to the left headlight assembly (best I could describe it)... make sure it is filled to the max line. the warning light is on, so you wouldn't start driving without any coolant... there is still enough of it to cool the engine, but it is just telling you in order to fix it before it's too late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.