Considering Buying A 1999 528i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
qwerty12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi,

New to the forum, glad to be aboard. I have been hunting for a nice BMW for a couple of weeks and have been concentrating on 2001 330i's. But alas, they seem to be out of my price range as I can't find any close to $20k with decent mileage and good condition. The nearest I could find is at a dealership for $21990 that has 59000mi. That's part one of my story.

Part 2 came today, I browsed an autotrader magazine and found a 1999 528i that has 34000mi. I talked to the dealer, who is one of those small lot mom and pop owners. He wants $18990, but I haven't really researched the 5 series so couldn't tell if that was a good price. I was kinda fixated on the mileage more so I agreed to drive to his dealership which was an hour away. Long story short, I checked out the car and test drove it, it runs fine nothing major I found. It does have a few superficial scratches and chips, but nothing major (however I am an anal picky type and those blemishes I found drove me nuts)...I would call it in Good condition, not Excellent. It doesn't have the Sport Package as the steering wheel is a regular not the 3 spoke type. I don't know what I'm exactly missing in the Sport Package. I think it has the Premium as it has leather seats but I think that is standard in the 5 series, correct me if I'm wrong. The color is Champagne on Tan, not a big fan of Champagne but not a dealbreaker either...car is untinted also. I looked at the Carfax, looks clean. My question is...Is that a good price? I know the guy is technically a dealership owner so he can charge dealership price, I checked Edmunds TMV and KBB, he's right around the price for dealership price. He won't budge on the price at all. I think I've seen 1999 528i's in the $15k range, granted with considerable higher mileage. I'm just wondering if a 1999 528i with 34k mi is a rare find, and worthy of parting with $19k (the dealer was also offering extended warranty that is good at any repair shop but will have to pay the difference if taken to an authorized BMW dealership). This will be a work car, don't have any plans to mod it, but might consider adding xenon lights or upgrading wheels.

VIN: WBADM633XXBY26381 (just in case any of you want to look it up)

Here is an image of the car

Please feel free to comment, question...really need input. Also, if I continue my search for a 2001 330i, how long will it be before I see them at $20k or below? I am hoping the new body styles will push the old ones even lower. (I know that is a 3 series type of question but thought I'd ask anyways).
qwerty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tacroteau can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to tacroteau
Sounds like a good deal to me, keeping in mind there is a big performance difference between the 330i and the 528i. If its a daily driver this shouldn't matter too much, having a 528i myself I can tell you its not a slow car...its no rocket either. However it is fun to drive, good acceleration for a big car, and great handling. With that kinda milage I dont think you can go wrong there. I'd snatch it up if I were u.

Quote:
Originally posted by qwerty12@Aug 1 2005, 07:12 AM
Hi,

New to the forum, glad to be aboard. I have been hunting for a nice BMW for a couple of weeks and have been concentrating on 2001 330i's. But alas, they seem to be out of my price range as I can't find any close to $20k with decent mileage and good condition. The nearest I could find is at a dealership for $21990 that has 59000mi. That's part one of my story.

Part 2 came today, I browsed an autotrader magazine and found a 1999 528i that has 34000mi. I talked to the dealer, who is one of those small lot mom and pop owners. He wants $18990, but I haven't really researched the 5 series so couldn't tell if that was a good price. I was kinda fixated on the mileage more so I agreed to drive to his dealership which was an hour away. Long story short, I checked out the car and test drove it, it runs fine nothing major I found. It does have a few superficial scratches and chips, but nothing major (however I am an anal picky type and those blemishes I found drove me nuts)...I would call it in Good condition, not Excellent. It doesn't have the Sport Package as the steering wheel is a regular not the 3 spoke type. I don't know what I'm exactly missing in the Sport Package. I think it has the Premium as it has leather seats but I think that is standard in the 5 series, correct me if I'm wrong. The color is Champagne on Tan, not a big fan of Champagne but not a dealbreaker either...car is untinted also. I looked at the Carfax, looks clean. My question is...Is that a good price? I know the guy is technically a dealership owner so he can charge dealership price, I checked Edmunds TMV and KBB, he's right around the price for dealership price. He won't budge on the price at all. I think I've seen 1999 528i's in the $15k range, granted with considerable higher mileage. I'm just wondering if a 1999 528i with 34k mi is a rare find, and worthy of parting with $19k (the dealer was also offering extended warranty that is good at any repair shop but will have to pay the difference if taken to an authorized BMW dealership). This will be a work car, don't have any plans to mod it, but might consider adding xenon lights or upgrading wheels.

VIN: WBADM633XXBY26381 (just in case any of you want to look it up)

Here is an image of the car

Please feel free to comment, question...really need input. Also, if I continue my search for a 2001 330i, how long will it be before I see them at $20k or below? I am hoping the new body styles will push the old ones even lower. (I know that is a 3 series type of question but thought I'd ask anyways).
[snapback]366576[/snapback]
tacroteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
68th gear and shifting

Car: a lot of broken ones
Photos:
superdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
i'd say it's too much... i don't really value the milage until it hits around 150k because engines are made to last
based on the rims, it's not a sports package wchich really does make sooo much difference
if it was me, i wouldn't go past 15-16k range for 98, especially with no xenon lights.
it is a rare find however because i can't remember last time i saw a 90s 5-er with 30k milage
i wouldn't buy it, and look for sports package ( 17' wheels, much better suspension, has an ///M emblem on the steering wheel because it is an M style steering wheel)

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
superdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)