Close to cutting my ties to the E39 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
(Thread Starter)
Close to cutting my ties to the E39

Transmission is freaking out even more now when it is wet out, doing different things as well as the old. Today I was driving and the transmission light came on (ABS and traction control were on like usual when it is wet for a while). So before i would be in D and it wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear unless I went down into S 3 and back up to D pretty quick. Yesterday the dash would show it randomly kick down from D into S 2 but after a few shifts up to N and back to D it would go back, today it was stuck in S 2 the entire time and the the transmission light came back on.........then my steering got drifty and there were odd vibrations.....flat tire. Oh how wonderful that was.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:17 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Wow, I hope you can get it sorted...

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks ws.

#4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Damn shame that pretty much all e38s and e39s develop those sorts of issues. Beautiful cars, but not for the faint of heart and/or a shallow pocket.

#5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I am distressed about it, but oh well. The flat really pissed me off, the jack point fell off when it was raised and dropped the car down with the wheel off. Not happy about that. The tire was melted, so not a good thing... Oh well. Life sucks some times. Thanks guys.

#6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, it should be towed by tomorrow to a guy to look at. He is the best I can find near me, and my insurance will pay $50 per tow bill, so it should be free to him. He is an ex-ford service manager but has a lot of experience with BMW, Audi, and MB. Highly recommended by one of my mechanics. So fingers crossed.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Best of luck with it!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks ws. I can only hope. I love this car and I was excited about getting the rocker panel fixed and the sunroof fixed, but we will see.

#9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 PM
n00b

HENNARED is on a distinguished road
Sometimes i realy want to hate my Bm'r but just can't do it,get realy pissed off when it's full of shit now and then...but still love it
#10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I love mine to death, I loved my E34 even more(first car, saved life, etc). I would hate to do it but my family's financial situation isn't at its prime and if this costs to much or it starts to cost too much too often I will have to part way with BMWs for six years.

#11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Everything will work out.........Kasei!

johnny

#12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Hope everything turns out alright. It might suck now but everything has a way of turning out alright. Just keep your head up.
#13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Try cleaning the electrical connector on the transmission

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
So the transmission problem only happens when its wet ??

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 AM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yes, Marti, only when it is wet. It started out being the alarm system that freaked when it was wet, then came to the abs and tc lights along with not shifting from second to third, and now this.

And thanks johnny and gareth, I am trying to be positive about it getting fixed at least.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)