"Check Engine Soon" displayed - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:04 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cweeks is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
"Check Engine Soon" displayed

2001 540I with 45K miles on it. Just got this "check engine soon" display. I am thinking this is a data link reset procedure to get rid of this annoyance??? Or is this a diagnostic that indicates something is amiss with the emissions stuff???

Should I ( and if so how) reset this warning???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 01:52 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
You should get it read/checked to see what is wrong.
Defeats the purpose to just reset it, doesn't it?

#3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 07:10 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
not sure how the software is designed--it could be that at routine intervals they post the message so you take the car back to the stealer.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 09:11 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cweeks
not sure how the software is designed--it could be that at routine intervals they post the message so you take the car back to the stealer.

No, that's not the case!

There is a tool you can buy that reads the codes or take it to an autoparts store where they'll check it for you. It could be many things but this is for sure emissions related.
Did you overfilled the gas tank? check the gas cap? How's the car running?

LOS
#5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 12:19 PM
n00b

Alex MPower is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alex MPower
Los is right! Check the gas cap,when you close it you should hear a clic! My dad had this problem on his 2002 Toyota Rav4,and after closing the cap to first clic it worked!
#6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 01:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Go to Autozone; they have a reader they will either use themselves or loan you for free that can read the OBD-II codes that has been triggered. This will give you a clue as to what's wrong. Once you've fixed what's wrong, you will need the dealer or a Peake type of tool to reset the code so your CEL turns off. There is also a way to do it without a tool, via jumping certain terminals on your diagnostic port, but it is rather risky to do and you can potentially screw up your ECM if you don't do it right.

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:35 PM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
yeah check engine lights come on only for emissions related stuff
#8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 08:42 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
Go to Autozone; they have a reader they will either use themselves or loan you for free that can read the OBD-II codes that has been triggered. This will give you a clue as to what's wrong. Once you've fixed what's wrong, you will need the dealer or a Peake type of tool to reset the code so your CEL turns off. There is also a way to do it without a tool, via jumping certain terminals on your diagnostic port, but it is rather risky to do and you can potentially screw up your ECM if you don't do it right.
Jumping pins at the diagnostic connector will not clear a check engine or SES lamp. There are 2 pins at the diag connector you can jump for resetting the oil service or Inspection lights, but as Eric said, you risk causing damage to the Instrument cluster.

DT

DT

#9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 10:28 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thanks DT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Tool
Jumping pins at the diagnostic connector will not clear a check engine or SES lamp. There are 2 pins at the diag connector you can jump for resetting the oil service or Inspection lights, but as Eric said, you risk causing damage to the Instrument cluster.

DT
Sorry, thanks for the correction, DT. You are tha man.

Now if only you could tell me why my A/C compressor is rattling loudly, yet still cools the car wonderfully.

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 10:37 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Eric,
Make sure its not just the belt tensioner making noise and that its actually coming from the compressor. If it is there are products like BG's Frigi-quiet that you can add to the AC system to possibly quiet it down some. I just wouldnt buy a cheap auto-zone product, Id search online for either the BG stuff or similar professional grade additive.
DT

DT

#11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 06:55 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Tool

DT
thanks for the response. Im an electrical guy so if you can tell me what pins need to be handled at the obd2 diag port it would help me when i do my oil changes. ive ordered a obd2 reader just to be sure. i really think the problem was the gas cap as the light has extinguished without any intervention other than normal gas fill ups.
#12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 12:24 PM

This is for 01 and later if you do NOT have the 20 pin round diagnostic connector under the hood

BMW insp. reset

- Iginition OFF (POS 0)

- Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to position 1 (ACCESSORY)

- Keep the button depressed (about 5 secs.) until you see "Oil Service" or "Inspection" with "Reset" or "Re" in the display

- *Note: On vehicles with "High" cluster, you will also see the amount of fuel (in litres) remaining until next service

- Press the button again and hold for approx. 5 secs. until "Reset" or "Re" flashes

- While the display is flashing, briefly press the button again to reset the Service Interval. After the display has shown the new interval you should see "END SIA" for about 2 secs.

Note that if the "Reset" or "Re" does not flash, then you have not met the minimum consumption level and cannot reset.

Note: Instructions courtesy of www.bmwtips.com

DT

#13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 01:41 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
yeah check engine lights come on only for emissions related stuff
Well, not quite. My camshaft position sensor threw a CEL fault code too.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 07:02 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
DT-

Many thanks for the link. Just what I was looking for. What does "HIGH" cluster mean??? Higher vin's have different clusters???
#15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 11:52 PM

The "High" cluster is a higher line cluster with the matrix display which will give you warnings etc via text. A low cluster will have a pictogram of a car on it to show you warnings like "door open" or "tail light out" Most 540i's will have the high cluster while the 528i's will have the low cluster. The exception would be any 528i or any e39 for that matter with Navigation will definitley have a "high" cluster.
DT

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)