BMW Werkz banner

Check Engine Light

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  DANSBMW 
#1 ·
My '93 525i's check engine light is on. Does anyone have experience reading out the codes? The book says to turn on the key and then quickly move the accelerator all the way 5 times; then watch the codes read out on the light. I've tried it with no response. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Dan

#4 ·
Hi Billb,

Thanks, but what am I missing here? My check engine light is on; doesn't that mean the bulb is installed, alive and well? When I go through the ignition switch/ pedal routine, I expected the chech engine light to start blinking. Instead it remains on without a flicker. Is there a second light that does the blinking to read out the codes?

Thanks,
Dan

#5 ·
yes..if you have the code for your radio why not trying to disconnect the battery (-) terminal for a while to reset a whole host of electronics on your car. Reconnect fresh start/reinitialization then do the procedure as outlined in the link I gave you.
good luck

#6 ·
Thanks again,

When I reconnect the battery is there anything that I can expect to need to reset besides the radio code? Somewhere in my past I did some work on the instrument panel and when I was done I had to have the air bag warning light reset. That time I didn't disconnect the battery, and found out later that I should have.

Thanks,
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.