Check Engine Light? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
crackerkorean is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to crackerkorean Send a message via Yahoo to crackerkorean
(Thread Starter)
Is the little pictogram of an engine the check engine light. Also what is the best way to get the code to see what it is.

Would something like a blow headlight cause that or is it just engine stuffs?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 08:58 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
You need a code reader, about $150. If you're having problems with headlights/lightbulbs, you will get a message on your console that
says something lIke "Check low beams"

Are you getting a message on your console besides the "engine pictogram"?
Most of the times this reffers to emissions.

LOS
#3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 12:45 PM
n00b

markr is an unknown quantity at this point
Sears sells carcheck for under $100. Easy to use but the codes are sometimes obscure. LOS and Bill are great resources if you have trouble with the numbers. Check my thread for a starter course.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crackerkorean Send a message via Yahoo to crackerkorean
(Thread Starter)
My car is a 5sp car so I dont have a readout in my dash. I just have the little pic of the car with the headlight symbol where the headlight is out.

Not being familir with BMW i wasnt sure what all would set off the check engine light. I am swinging by my mechanic this afternoon to pick up some parts and I might see if he can do it for me and go from there.

Thanks guys.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 12:25 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Crackerkorean, los, markr
Hi guys I have some remarks to your posts:
1. Los is right about the light, but most BMWs now have this pic. of a car that shows a burned out light bulb R/L front/back. My rule is simple when one side goes bad I change both; the second one needs to be changed sooner than what I think. cheap stuff anyway.
2. Check Engine: RX5 scanner works for me in that when A. I change oil (sythetic BMW/dealer only) I reset those 5 green bars when they disappear one after the other; I don't let it reach the oil change/service soon thing. B. it gives me a flexibility of getting many faults on the engine ranging from Vanos problems (mechanical) to O2 sensors/fuel injectors (electronic) this check cost about $50-$75 alone if you choose not to fix these problem by the mechanic who scanned you car. C. I paid about $130 include shipping so It will pay itself just about the first time you use-not too bad of an investment for that kind of money!!
Crackerkorean: to answer your ?? the scanner concerns itself with engine problems mostly electronic in nature plus some mechanical ones. But no tranny scanning on this one. so it is used to reset oil service, get engine codes, clear the codes and thus clear the yellowish check engine light. It will not clear or scan AIR BAGS however this requirs more money and a different machine which combines all of the above, and yes they do have and I believe the company is by you guys in the west coast....Peak research something. I can get the name if you need it email me.
Regards
Bill
#6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 05:01 PM
5th Gear Member

d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
Try the free codereader. The 5 stomp test.

Switch your car on, just the electricals.

Fully depress and release the gas 5 times, rather quickly, watch and see how many times the check engine light flashes.

Check your service manual for how to read the codes.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
#7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Magicly the check engine light went off. Strange.
Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)