Check Control/OBC warnings scroll continuously. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 02:21 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
markus is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Check Control/OBC warnings scroll continuously.

Hi guys - wondering if someone can help.
I've a '89 525i E34 with a few dahboard instrument problems. Matrix display/odometer/trip meter are completely dead, although ABS/oil pressure/handbrake etc warning lights are OK. Tacho and speedo are fine, but fuel and temp gauges recently started misbehaving as well.

While driving, would suddenly hear the warning ping and fuel/temp and 'energy control' guages would flick on and off. This would happen a number of times and the wouls stop - either with the gauges working - or not working. Next time i drove it would happen again, or not, totally ay random. As matrix display is not working, can't read of any particular problem. (Mannually checked all fluid levels and for leaks etc - all good.)

Found and fitted a secondhand instrument cluster with a perfect matrix display and all was good for a couple days until it suddenly started pinging and cycling through all the warnings (including some i know aren't applicable to my car) eg >catalyst>bonnet open>door open>brake light circuit>consult user manual>FR tyre pressure>FL tyre pressure etc etc.

Checked all levels again and everything appears OK.

This pinging would start a few minutes after starting car - go for 5-10 minutes then stop - but the warnings keep scrolling in the display.

The pinging was driving me crazy so i took out the cluster and returned my old faulty one. (NB my pinger DOES work when i exceed speed limit, have low washer fluid level etc)

i sent pics of my old unit and dealer went to pains to make sure they sent the matching one.

Any ideas? would the new instrument cluster be faulty? Where? Is there some sort of master control giving wrong readings? Perhaps OBC? Suggested resolution of my problem?

i have trawled through this forum and found lots of threads about instrument/check control issues, but none quite like this.

be very grateful for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:58 PM
4DoorWhore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
This is the first i have ever heard of this. If its doing it with two different clusters then its not the cluster. Its something electronic. Possibly a wiring issue or a sensor issue.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)