"check Brake Lininings"????? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 11:09 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vlad_ignatenko is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Does anyone know what this message is?? My obc recently started to show
"check brake linings" What is that supposed to mean? ghead
If anyone knows please tell me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 11:26 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
it means it's time to replace your brake pads. It's just an electronic warning rather than the squeal that most other cars put off. No big deal, no big expense.

#3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
front left and right rear wheel have brake sensors. a wire with a plastic block at the end. when your brakes get low enough, they chew through the plastic and give u the warning. u need to replace the brake pads and the sensors (they are cheap)

after that is done, put your key in position 2 (on, but not running) and leave it for a minute to clear the warning.

#4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Neutral Member

NESS is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a guy recently turn my rotors and he said this sensor cable broke or something. So now the 'check brake lining' red symbol shows up all the time. He looked at my pads and told me they were fine. Where do I get this cable or sensor that goes by the brake, just from a dealer? And can someone point me to a DIY for it.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by NESS@May 7 2005, 04:24 PM
I had a guy recently turn my rotors and he said this sensor cable broke or something. So now the 'check brake lining' red symbol shows up all the time. He looked at my pads and told me they were fine. Where do I get this cable or sensor that goes by the brake, just from a dealer? And can someone point me to a DIY for it.
[snapback]341947[/snapback]
Either dealer or your local AutoZone/PepBoyz,... price should be around same.

Installation is easy... when u go to do it, you'll see... there is really no instructions needed. it's a wire...

#6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 09:01 PM
n00b

bimmerjac is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Torque+May 7 2005, 09:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torque @ May 7 2005, 09:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-NESS@May 7 2005, 04:24 PM
I had a guy recently turn my rotors and he said this sensor cable broke or something.* So now the 'check brake lining' red symbol shows up all the time.* He looked at my pads and told me they were fine.* Where do I get this cable or sensor that goes by the brake, just from a dealer?* And can someone point me to a DIY for it.
[snapback]341947[/snapback]
Either dealer or your local AutoZone/PepBoyz,... price should be around same.

Installation is easy... when u go to do it, you'll see... there is really no instructions needed. it's a wire...
[snapback]342023[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
#7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 09:10 PM
n00b

bimmerjac is an unknown quantity at this point
I would not recommend turning rotors or just putting pads on...... It will cause problems. When a BMW needs brakes you should replace pads, pins, rotors and sensors. A DIY'er can do the job for about $500 - $600 for front and back.

Sorry for the repeat post... Did it by accident
#8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Millions of them.

Quote:
Originally posted by bimmerjac@May 7 2005, 10:10 PM
I would not recommend turning rotors or just putting pads on...... It will cause problems. When a BMW needs brakes you should replace pads, pins, rotors and sensors. A DIY'er can do the job for about $500 - $600 for front and back.

Sorry for the repeat post... Did it by accident
[snapback]342036[/snapback]
Am I understanding you correctly ? You suggest we all recommend the rotors every time the pads are worn ?

#9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 11:05 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Torque@May 7 2005, 10:06 PM
Am I understanding you correctly ? You suggest we all recommend the rotors every time the pads are worn ?
[snapback]342047[/snapback]
That's what dealers do all the time and those who go to the dealer only, believe that is the case!
From my experience with my independent mechanic, I've needed new rotors 2 out of 3 times...

2012 Porsche 911 GTS
2008 ford F150 Foose Edition
2010 VW Touareg

----------------------------------
Gone...2002 Porsche 911 C4S
Gone...2000 BMW 540i
Gone...1995 BMW 540i
#10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Millions of them.

Quote:
Originally posted by CosmosBlack+May 8 2005, 12:05 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CosmosBlack @ May 8 2005, 12:05 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Torque@May 7 2005, 10:06 PM
[snapback]342047[/snapback]
That's what dealers do all the time and those who go to the dealer only, believe that is the case!
From my experience with my independent mechanic, I've needed new rotors 2 out of 3 times...
[snapback]342062[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Well, seems to me like you need a new mechanic !

Rotors have a marking -- when they get worn past that point they need replacement. And I will assure you they won't get worn as fast as pads... they'll take quite a few pads to chew through them.

#11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 02:14 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
rotors dont only need to be replaced or turned because of the material left.

They don't always wear completely even and often have grooves. When the grooves are present, theres less contact patch from pad to rotor, less braking efficiency, less even-wear, etc etc. It may not be the most important thing, but it's also not OPTIMAL. So we can all assure eachother that the rotor will rarely be worn down to it's minimum, but thats not the point. There are other reasons to replace rotors. They DO often warp, get unusually large gouges, etc. That SHOULD be replaced.

#12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
BMW rotors are only good for 2 sets of pads. pretty much only on domestic cars with huge rotors will you be able to get more than a couple set of pads on a set of rotors. it also depends on the quality of the rotors and how agressive the pads are. you can replace only the pads, although not the ideal way to go, as long as the rotor thikness is not near the minimum thikness spec stamped into the rotor. i agree with sp0rky. for the best brake performance the rotors should be perfectly smooth when new pads are installed, for braking performance and maximum life of the pads. but as long as the rotors are not grooved really deep,overheated, or warped the new pads on an unturned rotor should be fine given the thikness of the rotors aren't too close to the spec. one way to tell if it is too close to spec is, if you have only had one set of pads on the rotor, take the actual measurement and subtract it from the original thikness of the rotor and see if that number is at or below the minimum thikness spec. other wise you can run into wapred rotors or overheated rotors. which both can compromise the life of the new pads. overheated rotor will overheat the pads which can casue the car to take more pedal pressure to stop the car or even casue the pads to fall aprat in extreme cases. and warped rotors will chew away at the pads and use more brake material, thus making the pads not alst as long.

oh and BMW doesn't recomend turning the rotors. although it is not impossible nor will it nesecerily be a bad thing but that is just what BMW recomends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)