Changing oil using a pump - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:20 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Leicesterboy15 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi

I am just after your opinions/expereinces really:

Has anyone ever used a pump to change the oil in their cars? I used to do this all the time. I have an oil pump thats made for boat engines. I put a plastic pipe down the dipstick tube and attach the pump to it, the oil simply pumps out into a bucket.

I've used it on old mercs and fords and I did it on a Saab and they all worked a treat, Oil changed within half an hour (I can even go and do other things while its pumping) and with no mess or having to get under the car. I usually get about 95% or more of the oil out and I only do this for oil changes between services (its that time for my BMW).

Has anyone had any experience with doing this? Does anyone know if it works on an m30 3.5 engine?

I am going to give it a go this weekend if I get time and I'll let you know how get on.

Thanks

1990 G 535i Sport Manual, Gas Guzzler but it puts a smile on yer face ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Never heard of anyone doing that... I think most of the people here just do it the old fassioned way.

I guess if it works on Ford and MB it will work on BMW as well.

#3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:32 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
TORQUE: I take the fifth on this one; but for one I like to get all the dirt out of my motor and second I believe BMW has a very sensetive personality.

Owning A BMW is very similar to being in love with a pretty woman. "IF YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH A BEUITIFUL WOMAN WATCH YOUR FRIENDS" and when I sing it the BMW way I substitute WOMAN above with BMW and FRIENDS with WALLET. So what do you get out of a BMW and/or a pretty woman? Try show off, sensetivity, high maintenance, and above all COSTLY. YA I'll go under to change that synthetic.
NO pumping PLEASE, of course I am trying to put a smile on your face--joking only!!!!!!!
#4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 01:10 PM
n00b

delta is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been sucking the oil out of dip stick for years on my Mercedes and BMW. No problems what so ever. In fact, Mercedes dealers routinely change oil by sucking it out. It works great on bmw 6 cylinders.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 12:52 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Delta

After owning a BMW for a while you tend to beleive that BMWs in some crazy way develop their own "personalities" in such a way that they become different breeds! for example--and you going to laugh at this-- my brother in law swears by Mobile premium Gas in his black 97 528I while in my Green 97 528i I get a check engine light whenever I use their premuim. The only difference is the color of cars ! Is it really the color? Joking of course. My car does not complain about Amoco. His car takes Mobile1 synthetic like a vitamin again everyone swears by it including Mercedes while Mobile1 gives my car a nock in the engine on first start up; and makes it sound sick--whenever I use it-- same oil company.

So here you go: Mobile gas or oil can be a vitamin for one car and also a medicine for another. It defies logic and I do laugh at this. But for meanwhile I am sticking with Amoco for gas and BMW synthetic 5-30 for oil (drained not sucked) to avoid taking here to the BMW DOCTOR and staying away from his LETHAL doasages of high bills.
Regards
bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)