BMW Werkz banner

Change Engine Oil with PennzOil OR change at Dealer?

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Lord Vader 
#1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering which option is better:
Change Engine oil with PennzOil Syntech with 7500 Miles by 104$
OR
Change oil at dealer with 15000 miles by 160$ ?
Which one do you prefer best?

#5 ·
Actually the OEM BMW brand is Castrol. Some oil caps state "BMW Recommends Castrol" on them.

I personally use Mobile 1 0w-40. I have a hard time finding German Castrol 0w-30 where i live. Mobile 1-0w-40 is the approved equivalent on the LL-01 list. Valvoline and Penzoil also have oils on the LL-01 approved list.

You will save a lot of money by doing the oil change by yourself and it is quite easy. A set of ramps costs about $50. Other then that you will need a 36mm socket for the oil filter housing which NAPA usually has for $10, and a 13-15 mm wrench for the drain plug. A filter at the dealership is about $16, but i get them online for $8. You can find deals of 6 filters for like $30-40 online.

I heave heard way to many horror stories of botched oil changes and been a "victim" of one myself. After looking at the reciept i realised they put in the wrong oil. This happened to me twice, on two seperate timess. When you do your own oil changes you know exactly what is going into your car and you know its being done right.

#11 ·
No it isn't. Don't bother coming here to spam.

#15 ·
Labrat, can you please resize your avatar. It's distorting the rest of the page. Thanks.

#17 ·
My mistake. Under "photos" below your user information ther is a very wide silver banned saying "the ultimate BMW enthusiasts forum". That's condensing the page from its normal view.

#18 ·
Again, there is nothing a member can do to do this effect. A member has absolutely no control over the forum's settings.

Trust me. I've ran owned/ran/moderated many different forums.

The owner of this site (or whomever he/she has granted access), screwed with the BANNER settings at the TOP of the page.

Contact the Admin.

#19 ·
Oh, we'll your right. I just noticed it was under my name too! Whoops. Sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.