Can't Start Car-alarm/remote Problems. Please Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2004, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
quablospix is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Hello,
I am new to this forum and have found a lot of usefull information on this site. Thank you. Although I can't find the solution to my problem. I drive a 95 540i and am having serious issues with the remote key and alarm system. Ok, here's the problem. The remote key (the only one I have) stopped unlocking/locking the doors. I know it is not the batter, I replaced them. When I go to unlock the door manually with the key the alarm goes off. With the alarm going off I cannot start the car, and the remote key will not stop the alarm. The alarm does stop with time, but if I stick the key in the ignition or open the door the alarm goes off again. So, I my car has been stuck for three days rendered immobile. From the information in this forum, I have been instructed to try and initilize the key (key in ignition, take it out, hold unlock button and press lock button three time, let go), which does not work. Also I have been told to unlock the passenger side door with the handle help up. That does not work either. Also someone said to disconnect the fuse, which was in the trunk (which I cannot find). If someone could help me with this issue it would greatly be appreciated. thanks
quablospix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2004, 03:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as I am aware just unlocking the door with the key doesn't disable the alarm (although I might be wrong), you have to turn the key in a certain fashion to accomplish this. If you've got the manual it will tell you how to do this. I have an e39 but will check if the above is true from my manual - if it is, the e34 will most certainly be the same/similar.
BeelZibub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Sorry, I checked the manual - different markets affect how the alarm system works - Here in Uk (I just checked mine) I cannot arm/disarm the alarm using the key BUT if I get into the vehicle (using the key or emergency key) starting the car stops the alarm. I guess the regional variations or e39/e34 thing means yours operates differently.

Hopefully someone else will have a better idea for you to try - good luck.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
i don't have the manual, but thank you.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Car: 97 540IA, 95 840CI
Photos:
LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
The alarm unit is under the rear seat. Remove/upplug the unit...

I'll check the manual tonight and let you know tomorrow for additional info... Also, do a search under this topic "alarm". You'll find lots of info. I have posted many posts on this subject

LOS
LOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thank you very much LOS.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
dear los,
can i ask you a few questions. I am new to my bmw and do not have a manual. Is it true when I use the key manually to unlock the doors, this still doesn't deactivate the alarm? If I were to unhook the alarm under the rear seat, will the remote key still unlock/lock the doors (if it were working in the first place)? Also I read one of your posts saying to take out fuse 63 in the trunk for the alarm sound. Where is the fuse box in the trunk with that fuse. All your help is greatly appreciated. thank you
quablo
Old 10-20-2004, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Good morning,

The answer to your question, when you unlock your car manually, the alarm should deactivate. If it doesn't, there is a short in the driver side locking mechanism. The unit is probably stuck and needs to be lubricated. The whole door panel needs to be remove to access it. Your doors should work fine even if you unplug the alarm unit.

You can try removing the fuse(s) #18 and/or #21. The fuse box is located in the left hand/far end in the engine compartment.... Remove the cover to access the fuses, they will be numbered!!

Also, after trying the fuse option... you may want to disconnect hte battery and see if things reset themseves back to normal. My concern is your car not starting.

Where are you located? I'm in California. Send me an email with your phone number and I'll call you. I'll be home around 7:30 tonight (10:30 eastern time)

LOS
Old 10-20-2004, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by LOS@Oct 20 2004, 02:43 PM
Good morning,

The answer to your question, when you unlock your car manually, the alarm should deactivate. If it doesn't, there is a short in the driver side locking mechanism. The unit is probably stuck and needs to be lubricated. The whole door panel needs to be remove to access it. Your doors should work fine even if you unplug the alarm unit.

You can try removing the fuse(s) #18 and/or #21. The fuse box is located in the left hand/far end in the engine compartment.... Remove the cover to access the fuses, they will be numbered!!

Also, after trying the fuse option... you may want to disconnect hte battery and see if things reset themseves back to normal. My concern is your car not starting.

Where are you located? I'm in California. Send me an email with your phone number and I'll call you. I'll be home around 7:30 tonight (10:30 eastern time)

LOS
[snapback]214665[/snapback]
Just make sure the car isn't a euro import - in euroland unlocking the door "doesn't" disable the alarm but turning the key in the ignition does. This is no doubt because if someone forces the locks with a screwdriver etc. the alarm will not disable (Preferable I think), BUT if you place the key in the ignition then the computer will varify the key is valid and disable the alarm.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
hello again,
yes, my concern is the car not starting either. I would think that if I had the key it would start the car????? I will try to do everything you said today. The neighbors are going to love me, with the alarm going off all the time. I'm located in Colorado. My phone # is 970-217-8233 and my email address is quablospix@yahoo.com. Again, thank you so much for your help and advice.
quablo
Old 10-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Try unpluging the unit first to stop the siren. it's very simple located under the seat. Then open your hood and remove those fuses I mentioned. Close the doors and lock everything... Then try unlocking the door either with the remote or manually (key). Then try to start the engine

If this doesn't work, unplu the battery cable for about 5 minutes prior to starting the car. The battery is located under the rear seat (just like the alarm unit)

Hope it works!

LOS
Old 10-20-2004, 01:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
frustration continues.....
I have tried disonnecting the battery. As soon as I put the cable back on the alarm starts going off. I have removed those 2 fuses as you mentioned (18 was for the radio, and 21 was for rear reading lights?). Then doing the battery thing again. Still alarm starts as soon as cable is reattached. I have tried disconnecting the cable with all the doors shut, locked, open, all combinations. On time with both the passenger and driver doors shut and locked, and one rear door open. The alarm didn't sound when I put the battery cable back on. Although the remote didn't work, and as soon as I put the key in the ignition the alarm went off again.
anyway to the alarm unit... I've been under the seat, obviously working with the battery. Although I can't seem to find the alarm unit disconnect. All I see is the battery, and the fuse box on the right. Where abouts is the alarm unit? Is it connected to the fuse box? I have tried replaceing all the fuses in this box also.
I will go and look again for the alarm unit.
thanks
quablo
Old 10-20-2004, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Photos:
I used to have a 95 525i and it was located under the rear seat. This was the original alarm... The unit itself is about 6 x 3 x 1 thick, black in color. the battery is on the other side.

i tried calling you but there was no answer
Old 10-20-2004, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
eureka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I found the alarm unit. It was behind the fuse box pretty well hidden. I removed the fuse and the alarm doesn't go off anymore. And since it is deactivated the car now starts. THANK GOD (MOSTLY YOU THOUGH)!!!!!!!!. Although, the remote key still doesn't work. If you have anymore information about this it would be great.
again thank you soOO much. you have saved me much frustration and anger.
i may have more questions, i hope you'll keep looking at this post. I will keep you updated with the remote key situation.

there was no answer because I am not near my phone. I will not be by my phone until 10:30 pm (9:30 your time).

THANK YOU!!!!

quablo
Old 10-20-2004, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
LOS
4th Gear Member

Photos:
Good job!!

LOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)