Can I listen to my iPod or not? Aaaagh! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nooners is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Can I listen to my iPod or not? Aaaagh!

Hi!

I have looked through the sticky thread and called around a few places today but don't seem to be able to find a definitive answer to my question.

Basically, I want to be able to listen to my iPod in my 2004 BMW 530i. I believe the production date is Dec 2003.

I feel that the ideal (and probably cheapest) solution to have a aux port installed but I'm either told that it can't be done (one BMW dealership) or that it can be done but will cost around $400 (another BMW dealership). Which answer is correct? $400 seems really high to me but the BMW dealer told me it was because the iDrive needed to be reprogrammed on top of the install.

I called a separate audio place and they offered the iSimple as a solution. They told me this would cost $299 installed. However, from everything I've seen, it doesn't look as though the iSimple is even compatible with the model of car because of the iDrive.

I would really appreciate any help as I'm kind of lost here. I'm trying to get this done as a surprise for my husband at Xmas.

I'm in the San Diego area if anyone could recommend a good audio company or BMW dealer to use.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
The iDrive issue does complicate things; this could take a bit of searching.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Neutral Member

harryinsaudi is on a distinguished road
Well i listen to mine using a radio link that plugs into the cigar lighter. You tune the radio to the same frequency as the transmitter. I pod sell a thing to suit. i think it's called an i tune.. only about $50 and you're done. I've got another make that cost about 65. but i can also plug a memory stick into that. Only snag is you have to remember to turn the i pod off as well as the radio when you get out of the car.....Kensington Digital FM Radio & Transmitter for iPod - Digital player FM transmitter / FM radio not sure if that link has worked. just google i pod radio transmitter.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:45 PM
4th Gear Member

carguy13 is on a distinguished road
you could try a blue tooth adapter...

well, i guess you would need to reprogram the iDrive either way...

some ipods work with blue tooth now

#5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 01:51 AM
n00b

colinjohngreen is on a distinguished road
I have just received a quote of 399.00 from my local BMW dealer in the UK to have an Ipod adapter added to my 5 series, so it is possible it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Just note that they will need the car for most of a day as they do need to update the iDrive software to recognise the added adapter.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 AM
n00b

Synesthesia is on a distinguished road
Ipod transmitter is the cheapest way to go. I use it in my e34. It has a Decent sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)