Buying a 540i advice - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 03:18 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
whitebeach is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Buying a 540i advice

I have found a 1998 540i with high kilometers (190,000) what should I look for, problems wise? It has already had the torque converter done.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:17 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Check the Intake Manifold Cover by starting the engine and letting the idle settle, then pull out the engine oil dipstick, if there is a change in the idle and a slurping sort of noise from the dipstick tube, then you'll need to attend to that. (Not a huge job, but something that needs to be done). If it is slow to develop power (poarticularly when cold) then the MAF is possibly suspect as well (not a big job to change), you can test the MAF further by disconnecting it and seeing if the performance improves with it disconnected.
If you've got time and some basic tools, pull the spark plug cover off and check if there is oil around the plugs which indicates a leaking seal.
None of these things are fatal, but they are all repairs that cost money.
Remove the oil filler cover and look in around the chain and internals that you can see through that opening to see if its nice and clean or coated in the black sludge indicating a poor history of oil changes.
Good luck

Riding in style
#3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:45 PM
n00b

whitebeach is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
Check the Intake Manifold Cover by starting the engine and letting the idle settle, then pull out the engine oil dipstick, if there is a change in the idle and a slurping sort of noise from the dipstick tube, then you'll need to attend to that. (Not a huge job, but something that needs to be done). If it is slow to develop power (poarticularly when cold) then the MAF is possibly suspect as well (not a big job to change), you can test the MAF further by disconnecting it and seeing if the performance improves with it disconnected.
If you've got time and some basic tools, pull the spark plug cover off and check if there is oil around the plugs which indicates a leaking seal.
None of these things are fatal, but they are all repairs that cost money.
Remove the oil filler cover and look in around the chain and internals that you can see through that opening to see if its nice and clean or coated in the black sludge indicating a poor history of oil changes.
Good luck
Thanks for your reply.

Is there a way also of checking the cooling system (radiator, water pump). This car doesn't have any service records (groan).
#4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 10:13 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
The only thing I can think of is to have a look around the radiator end tanks and top hose neck for signs of coolan leak (white residue). Also check the inside face of the expansion tank cap for signs of oil contamination (milky/yellow sludge) which might indicate a cracked or warped head, or gasket failure. Check that there isn't any play in the radiator cooling fan shaft which is on the end of the water pump shaft (engine off obviously), as well as checking that the fan isn't jammed/locked to the shaft (it should be able to be turned without too much effort).

Riding in style
#5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 03:11 AM
Neutral Member

BBenedict is on a distinguished road
Well, that's about 118,060 miles, a bit high but not too
bad if it was taken care of. The above advice is very good,
pay attention to it.

These are well made cars. If they're not abused they do
last a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)