To Buy Or Not To Buy - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

View Poll Results: Should I buy or not?
a.Buy it! 0 0%
b.It'll cost you but Buy.. 0 0%
c.It's gonna cost too much but Hey its a nice car.. 0 0%
d.Dont buy too many Km's 0 0%
e.Dont buy you can get a better one for less 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 03:58 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
grdaemon is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I recently found a BMW 528i 1998 here in Oporto Portugal that is supposed to be first hand used by some ambassador here in Porto.It has 200000 Kms and the only thing I could describe as minus was that the transmission felt a little loose if you know what I mean.Should I buy it? It comes at the price of 17000 Euros.

Gio
Also own an <span style='color:red'>ALFA 147 1.6TS Dinstictive</span>
and a <span style='color:green'>XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 04:58 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
This price of 17000 Euros is a bit shy of 22.000 US dollars. For a car with 200K mile I say it is very high mileage and price. At least by the american standards/prices unless of course there is an added amount (by the government of your country) which represents built-in fees to the price such as customs.

Note: In some countries you may import BMW from Germany for $10.000 then you must pay close to $20.000 for customs (not taxes). So the normal price for the same car is $30.000. Is this the case in your country?
#3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 05:07 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Feb 5 2005, 09:58 PM
This price of 17000 Euros is a bit shy of 22.000 US dollars. For a car with 200K mile I say it is very high mileage and price. At least by the american standards'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">american standards</a>/prices unless of course there is an added amount (by the government of your country) which represents* built-in fees to the price such as customs.

Note: In some countries you may import BMW from Germany for $10.000 then you must pay close to $20.000 for customs (not taxes). So the normal price for the same car is $30.000. Is this the case in your country?
[snapback]286463[/snapback]
Its 200k Km's not miles.Yet you are correct its about 6000 euros to import this car from germany to portugal.Its even more to greece my motherland.Not to mention that you actually cannot import a car more than 3 years old neither a diesel one neither.....etc...F*****g car policy!!!!!!!!!!

Gio
#4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:10 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by grdaemon+Feb 5 2005, 11:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grdaemon @ Feb 5 2005, 11:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-billB@Feb 5 2005, 09:58 PM
This price of 17000 Euros is a bit shy of 22.000 US dollars. For a car with 200K mile I say it is very high mileage and price. At least by the american standards'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">american standards</a>/prices unless of course there is an added amount (by the government of your country) which represents* built-in fees to the price such as customs.

Its 200k Km's not miles.Yet you are correct its about 6000 euros to import this car from germany to portugal.Its even more to greece my motherland.Not to mention that you actually cannot import a car more than 3 years old neither a diesel one neither.....etc...F*****g car policy!!!!!!!!!!
[snapback]286464[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

200K miles or KM still high. Anyhow you're willing to pay 17000 Euros for a car with a potential transmission problems, customs are included in the price. Did you contemplate the possibility of importing the car from Germany on your own? If so what type of a car you will be getting from Germany at the price of 11000 Euros? I am confident you'll be able to get a better or more of a car for your money; then pay the 6000 customs. The downside?
A. you'll be forced to buy something like 2001 not older. 3 series? yes? may be?
B. Again back to your government the 6000 custom fees may NOT stand still and will go up with newer models and bigger engines thus the 3 series to offset! think about.
regards
billb
#5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
First off, I don't know the prices of cars in Portugal so I might be wrong on some things.

Circa 22k dollars for a '98 with that many KMs on it is a bit high. I think you can find a much better car (BMW or not) for that much money.

#6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 07:12 PM
5th Gear Member

He already decided to buy the car. remember he is paying full 17000 in his country; for us buying the same car will be 17000-6000=11000 in Germany and the US (only taxes in both countries).

Customs is a killer in many countries i.e. during my recent trip to one country I was told a 528i 1997 pays about $22000 for customs alone PLUS whatever it costs at its country of origin. The newer the model, the bigger the engine, the more options= much higher customs. Cannot import a car older than 3-5 years; No diesel engines either. My car 97 if it's worth $10000 here, overseas it is $32000. Same car same options but different plate.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 08:40 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Feb 5 2005, 11:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Feb 5 2005, 11:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by grdaemon@Feb 5 2005, 11:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-billB
Quote:
@Feb 5 2005, 09:58 PM
This price of 17000 Euros is a bit shy of 22.000 US dollars. For a car with 200K mile I say it is very high mileage and price. At least by the american standards'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">american standards</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">american standards</a>/prices unless of course there is an added amount (by the government of your country) which represents* built-in fees to the price such as customs.

[snapback]286464[/snapback]

200K miles or KM still high. Anyhow you're willing to pay 17000 Euros for a car with a potential transmission problems, customs are included in the price. Did you contemplate the possibility of importing the car from Germany on your own? If so what type of a car you will be getting from Germany at the price of 11000 Euros? I am confident you'll be able to get a better or more of a car for your money; then pay the 6000 customs. The downside?
A. you'll be forced to buy something like 2001 not older. 3 series? yes? may be?
B. Again back to your government the 6000 custom fees may NOT stand still and will go up with newer models and bigger engines thus the 3 series to offset! think about.
regards
billb
[snapback]286503[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Prices are high in Europe.Specialy in countries that just don't produce cars so they just import them.The car would cost me about the same if I imported it from Germany yet it might be 1 or 2 years younger.Nevertheless I would loose the 1 year warranty along with car replacement that I get here and in case something goes wrong I would have to deal with somebody in Germany not to mention the Km's..
Series 3.No but NO Thanks.I really believe that the 3 series really spoil the good image BMW has wan with lots of effort.In addition I own an Alfa 147 that happens to be better than any 3 series car even with 5-7000 Euros of difference.
Still maintenance and service is indeed cheeper comparing my Cherokee's history and relevant discussions in jeeps forum.I really think I will go for it.Thinking of the extras that come along with this 528 I think its a good deal after all.Thanks anyway!

Gio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)