BMW Werkz banner

Brake pad indicator reset e60

71K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  alirzn 
#1 ·
:helpI have replaced front and rear pads and new sensors on a 2004 530d. How do I reset the miles on the I drive indicator for the front and rear pads?

#2 ·
--------Firstly with the ignition switched on, set the odometer trip meter back to zero by pushing it once. Then switch the ignition back off again. (I found this step was critical, otherwise I couldn't get to the "Service" menu).

Now you are ready to go through the reset steps as follows:

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.

5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

Hints & Tips
Before actually resetting anything, go through steps 1, 2 and 6 above until you are familiar (and sure) what you want to reset. Practice this a few times and note down in what order the icons appear after the initial "Service" icon appears.

If you do happen to hold the button down too long against an item you don't want to reset and the "RESET?" appears, just leave the button alone for 10 seconds or so and it will not let you reset the item. (Alternatively just switch the ignition off and start again).

Sometimes if you have not released and pressed the button again quickly enough, when you hold it down again the German technical writing will appear after about 15 - 20 seconds instead of the Service item icon you were expecting. (If this happens just switch off the ignition and start again).

Once you are sure what item you want to reset and are confident of the sequence, then give it a go. If you do hesitate between releasing and pressing the button at any time, you will have to go back to the beginning and start again as "he who hesitates is lost"."

#6 ·
Experienced the same problem, believe I understand now:

Its a problem with the brake wear sensor: I assumed my sensor didn't need replacing as I still had quite a lot of pad left (rear pads), and therefore didn't replace it. When I reset the service indicator it defaulted to -25 000 km's, and wouldn't budge. It looks like the sensor concept is slightly different on these later BMW's, which use a CBS (Condition-Based Servicing) concept: The CBS system assumes a basic lifetime, in the case of the rear brakes 25 000 km's, and start counting down. The wear sensor wears through when the pads still have quite a bit more life in them (not when the pads are pretty much done), and this allows the CBS to adjust its countdown more accurately for the last few thousand km's. So if you then just replace pads and try and reset the service indicator, the CBS system gets grumpy and gives you the service overdue treatment.

I replaced the wear sensor with a new genuine BMW part, and the system reset on the second try. It seems that you may need to perform the reset procedure a few times to get the reset.

Out of curiosity, I then re-plugged my old sensor, and when I turned on the ignition, I got a "Brake Sensor Fault" error message.

I compared resistance measurements across the new and ols sensors. The new sensor is a closed circuit, the old sensor is not open circuit, but gives 1.4Mega Ohms across the terminals.

In the attached photo you can see the new sensor (top) with a large wear section, and the old sensor (bottom) with this section worn away.

I have heard that non-original sensors may cause problems as well, so if you have replaced your pads and sensor and still can't reset, I suggest you try replacing with a genuine BMW sensor.

If anyone has still had the problem even with a BMW sensor, please post the details.

Attachments

#7 ·
thank you for your great response. I have replaced the brake pads and i am very good with checking the prake pads regularly. Do i still have to change the brake sensors? my iDrive brake light is on and it does not turn off. I tried to reset it, but it does not work. I really appreciate any response.

#8 ·
reset brake warning

hey, i own a 2006 BMW 525i and i replaced both front and rear brakes and the sensors and i tired to use the above steps outlined, but i had difficulty with step number 3. Any ideas or tips? Every time i let go, the screen goes back to display time and temperature, (even if i do it straight away?)

#10 ·
reseting brake indicator

hey, i own a 2006 BMW 525i and i replaced both front and rear brakes and the sensors and i tired to use the above steps outlined, but i had difficulty with step number 3. Any ideas or tips? Every time i let go, the screen goes back to display time and temperature, (even if i do it straight away?)
I replaced the pads and wear indicators. But i have the same fault. I cannot reset to counter. Exactly the same as Ashu. when I release the odometer button it goes straight back to date and time. anybody know how to get past this?

#13 ·
for those of you who don't know: the brake sensors have two stages, (two levels) of wear indicators (two internal resistors) that are measured. With new sensors, the computer will first calculate default factory intervals by itself. After the first stage the sensor (which is a wear indicator) will give the computer its first "hard signal", half way and a second at the end (replace).

When you don't replace the sensor together with new blocks, the old sensor might have passed its first stage, so the computer will not reset to zero.
So: always replace the sensor. The reset procedure sometimes must be repeated. (caused by not pressing long enough, or waiting too long with next press)

#14 ·
I posted the question of how to trick or disable brake sensors in the different forum (link below), but have not got any answers so far. If any of you guys can help (reply in either forum is fine to me), I'd appreciate it.

How to trick or disable brake sensors? - 5 Series Forums

Basically trying to get rid of the annoying changing pads alert in dashboard and iDrive by tricking the worn sensors.

Another solution is to get a new sensor, plug in, but don't install the sensor head in place. Instead, just tie it somewhere near the pads. I have never done it, so not sure where I can tie it safely.

Thanks!

#15 ·
brake pad

Technically the solution to connect a new brake pad sensor but not (yet) mounting it on the brake pad will work of course. After resetting, your car will see a new sensor with new brake pads. You have to monitor your brake pads yourself then.

After replacement of the old brake pads with new brake pads you then have to mount the unused sensor in its original position so that it can do its proper job.

Personally I would not do this trick on my car, just to save some money due to delayed replacements, but ok it is your decision, risk and safety.

#16 ·
I am wandering what I am risking? The pads still have actually 5~6mm left. I feel it is the sensor's fault (not accurate enough). I can keep an eye on the pads till when it is down to ~2mm left. Shouldn't cause safety issue. Am I not making sense?
Thanks!

Personally I would not do this trick on my car, just to save some money due to delayed replacements, but ok it is your decision, risk and safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.