BMW Werkz banner

Brake Lining warning Light

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  TheHire 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me? I have a 99 523I which has come up with a warning message to " Check Brake Linings" well I have checked the pads at the front and the back and there was plenty of wear left on them but I thought I would change the front ones as they were most worn and that would reset my warning light? I changed the front pads and the sensor out for a new set but the warning light is still in ( I did get a reset on the computer) So I have now changed out the rear pada although there was a quite a bit of wear left on them I have had another reset and the warning is still up. Can anyone shed any light on what the problem could be (do the rear shoes have a sensor on tthem for the parking brake?) or does anyone have any other ideas. This Ding every time I start and stop the car is dr :help iving me nuts!!!!![ :help :wtf

#3 ·
get the codes read to see what is wrong

#4 ·
I just encoutered the same problem on an 850I, I know for a fact that there is a sensor grounded out on the right rear. The problem is trying to pimpoint where the wire is grounded, or if there somthing I have to replace. Ive asked everyone and the onoly answer I get is there might be some type of a madule under the dash somewhere.

#5 ·
ok i know you checked your pads. but can have you tried taking off the wheel and making sure the sensor isnt off line? sometimes people put them in crooked and give a premature linning warning. also , even though the sensor may be on legit, it seems like there is lots of pad... double check

#6 ·
I had similar prob on my E 34. Since you've already checked with sensor, it could most prolly be the 'brake light circuit'. I don't have any idea for fixing it. I got it done from the local BMW dealer.

~The Hire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.