Brake caliper lock up - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
e39 5ive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to e39 5ive
(Thread Starter)
Brake caliper lock up

Weirdest thing happened today. I was just cruising along, when I had to stop due to an annoying red light. As the light turned green, I took my foot off the brake pedal to idle forward, the car hesitated. The caliper seemed to be stuck closed. I could hear the caliper creek open, and the car began to slowly move forward.
So I turned around and started to head home. Soon I hit another light. The same thing happened again, only this time I didn't hear the caliper open. As I'm driving, I start to notice smoke coming from the front drivers side tire. I immediatley pulled over and shut the car off. Sure enough smoke was coming from the caliper. The brake pedal was now hard as a rock, as I kept pressing the brake, trying to free the caliper. Nothing. I let the car cool down a little, and tried again. The caliper opened.
Confidant I could get home without a problem, after much reassurance, I drove the car. Last light to my house and it was brake time. The pedal drops to the floor! : Thank GOD I wasn't going fast at all. The car did come to a stop, only after pulling the e-brake. I pumped the brake pedal and regained pressure. As I pulled up to my house the brake pedal hit the floor again.
The weird thing is there was, no warning of this. I definately need to change my struts. Could that have anything to do with it? Anyone ever dealt with this problem before? What could it be? Please help?
E39 5ive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)