Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 08:19 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hpacc is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)

I just put these in.
the plugs in my "new" 1990 525i were lookin bad, and my engine had a slight miss at idle.

the good:
the platinum +4s seem to be more responsive when accelerating

the bad:
the engine still misses a little at idle. i'm thinking now that it might be a vacuum hose.

any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of these plugs would be appreciated. -and so would thought on my idle problem used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 09:49 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
The +4 does not fire from all fours at the same time; one at a time and the same holds true for the +2. That is what a BMW tech claimed. The spitfire plug is another story. Another advantage to the +4 is that they tend to last longer than the +2s but no power gained above and beyond the +2s.

A vacuum hose leak can be detected by hissing sound like (woosh) or you may want to consider spraying break fluid cleaner on the suspected area; if you idle change you know you have a vacuum leak.

Good luck and let us know.
regards
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 01:45 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
platinum plugs whether it be a +2 or +4 is the WRONG plug for an m20 or m30 engine - which is what you have (I'm almost positive).

You should go with a standard copper core plug.

BTW: That doesnt make sense. If the plug were to fire one prong at a time, it would be like having 4 seperate plugs and it would fire at the wrong time all the time. Considering that the center is just the annode and the 4 poles are grounds, I don't see how that is possible.

#4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 09:43 AM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by sp0rky@Nov 24 2004, 07:45 AM
platinum plugs whether it be a +2 or +4 is the WRONG plug for an m20 or m30 engine - which is what you have (I'm almost positive).

You should go with a standard copper core plug.

BTW: That doesnt make sense. If the plug were to fire one prong at a time, it would be like having 4 seperate plugs and it would fire at the wrong time all the time. Considering that the center is just the annode and the 4 poles are grounds, I don't see how that is possible.
[snapback]236527[/snapback]
They certainly don't fire all at the same time.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 09:48 AM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Bosch Super 4 Spark Plugs
After using them ourselves we are recommending these latest spark plugs from BOSCH THE SUPER 4
A performance breakthrough from Bosch.
Bosch are used to making improvements in design, but this is a revolutionary breakthrough that is totally unique.
The Super-4 outperforms conventional spark plugs in every situation. It uses state-of-the-art 'surface-air-gap' technology, and features four thin ground electrodes with one pointed, silver-plated centre electrode. This enables the ignition spark to choose the best path for reliable ignition, and according to the load placed on the engine.

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring
Better cold start performance
Increased engine efficiency

So it in effect chooses the best electrode to arc from at that moment in time.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 10:33 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Beelz
Since you saying So it in effect chooses the best electrode to arc from at that moment in time. It means also they don't fire all at once (as some tend to believe)
My question is this: can one conclude based on the above that the +4 has some cleaning (self cleaning???) effect?? i.e. firing from one arc tends to prevent buildups on the idling/off arc in that moment of the cycle? or this is asking too much of a plug??
regards
billb
#7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear Member

frank3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BeelZibub@Nov 24 2004, 07:48 AM
Bosch Super 4 Spark Plugs
After using them ourselves we are recommending these latest spark plugs from BOSCH THE SUPER 4
Bosch are used to making improvements in design, but this is a revolutionary breakthrough that is totally unique.
The Super-4 outperforms conventional spark plugs in every situation. It uses state-of-the-art 'surface-air-gap' technology, and features four thin ground electrodes with one pointed, silver-plated centre electrode. This enables the ignition spark to choose the best path for reliable ignition, and according to the load placed on the engine.

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring

[snapback]236645[/snapback]
Bosch USA website doesn't have any info about the super-4...is this too new for their site, or is it a non-usa plug?

<span style='color:green'>1994 325i </span>- - - 75,000 mi.
No mods - - - very happy as is!
<span style='color:green'>1995 525i </span>- - - 154,000 mi.
No squeaks or rattles... unreal!
#8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 09:07 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by frank3+Nov 25 2004, 02:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frank3 @ Nov 25 2004, 02:30 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BeelZibub@Nov 24 2004, 07:48 AM
Bosch Super 4 Spark Plugs*

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring

Bosch USA website doesn't have any info about the super-4...is this too new for their site, or is it a non-usa plug?
[snapback]236928[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

It is available in the US markets see the link below for further info.
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/Sp...PlatinumPlus4/
regards
billb
#9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 09:31 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Questions regarding aftermarket parts can be answered if you look around. Aftermarket parts are often reviewed in the "Product Reviews" section.....{CLICK HERE}

to the forums, look around, you can learn a lot.

#10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 10:13 PM
5th Gear Member

I did use the +4 once did not notice much difference from the +2. As I said above they don't fire from all fours at once as many wish to believe. Dealer did recommend the +2 Bosch and I am sticking with it.
regards
billb
#11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 11:29 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Ah, that makes much more sense.

I took it as they fire in a cycle.. from one to two to three, etc. and I thought to myself: "How can that be possible?" Either way - regardless of how the plug fires it is not good for use in the older BMW engines. It can even cause some rough running in the earlier m50s. m20s and m30s certainly dislike any kind of platinum plug, though.

#12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 09:23 AM
5th Gear Member

The whole issue is covered in more details in Jllphan's "product review" thread. What is interesting though is the +2 sold by the dealer are Bosch too but it reads BMW on it.
#13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 10:08 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Yes sir Bill, for my car, BMW offers a twin copper diode Bosch Super plug as oem replacement. I've also read (bmpd.com) that BMW endorses a twin (not four) electrode platinum plug, but with my experience, I am sticking to oem copper.

#14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 12:53 PM
2nd Gear Member

frank3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Nov 24 2004, 07:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Nov 24 2004, 07:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by frank3@Nov 25 2004, 02:30 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-BeelZibub
Quote:
@Nov 24 2004, 07:48 AM
Bosch Super 4 Spark Plugs*

The advantages:

Increased acceleration
Less chance of misfiring

[snapback]236928[/snapback]
It is available in the US markets see the link below for further info.
http://www.boschusa.com/AutoParts/Sp...PlatinumPlus4/
regards
billb
[snapback]236956[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Not sure if they're the same plugs...read the details. US plug has platinum core, UK plug references a silver plated core.

<span style='color:green'>1994 325i </span>- - - 75,000 mi.
No mods - - - very happy as is!
<span style='color:green'>1995 525i </span>- - - 154,000 mi.
No squeaks or rattles... unreal!
#15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 07:52 AM
n00b

dbalogh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Nov 23 2004, 08:49 PM
The +4 does not fire from all fours at the same time; one at a time and the same holds true for the +2. That is what a BMW tech claimed. The spitfire plug is another story. Another advantage to the +4 is that they tend to last longer than the +2s but no power gained above and beyond the +2s.

A vacuum hose leak can be detected by hissing sound like (woosh) or you may want to consider spraying break fluid cleaner on the suspected area; if you idle change you know you have a vacuum leak.

Good luck and let us know.
regards
billb
[snapback]236340[/snapback]
good morning Bill. Once again, your knowledge impresses me. Where did get so much scoop on Bimmers? Say, if you had a straight 6, like I do in my 530 01 or a V8 and drove both the exact same would you expect the englife to be longer in a V8?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)