BMW E39 M5 - MP3 hook-up - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
E39m5 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
BMW E39 M5 - MP3 hook-up

Hi,

I have E39 M5 - 03/2000 (US Model). The sound system and Navi is all stock, except the screen. It was changed from 4:3 to 16:9 - BMW OEM Head-Unit.

The CD Changer is kind of worthless. It does not play MP3 Formatted CDs, does not recognize Rewritable CDs and skips with every little bump. I had been playing MP3 via FM mod, but the sound is not all that great. To my understating there is a unit that can be installed instead of CD-changer that has MP3 or iPod input. The unit will display the MP3s on the head-unit, just like the CD changer - (Album # and Sound #). Plus I would be able to control the MP3 or iPod via head-unit.

Does anyone know a good brand or can point me in the right direction where to find a good unit. I know there are a lot of units on the market, but some requires wires cutting, etc. That is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a plug-and-play unit.

Any help / info would be great.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM
n00b

JayArras is on a distinguished road
I have a solution that you'll like

Let me know if something like this might interest you. It's posted here in the classified section: http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aud...tem-76606.html

I can also send you pics if you'd like.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, please send me pictures: my e-mail - Boris.BMWm5@yahoo.com

Thanks.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 AM
n00b

JayArras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39m5 View Post
Yeah, please send me pictures: my e-mail - Boris.BMWm5@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Email sent.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 06:41 PM
n00b

silverm5 is on a distinguished road
You could also try MediaBridge I got one in my e39 M5 and love it. Here is a link http://diceelectronics.com/media-bridge-features I think I got mine on ebay for about $230, but you will also need to get a DSP adapter.

Last edited by silverm5; 11-15-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: link
#6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, DICE MediaBridge is the way to....................I hope.

Last month I purchased GROM with DSP adapter and it was not a very good unit. At least I did not like it. The menu was not user friendly and unit did not work like it was advertized. So I ended up returning it and I purchased "DICE MediaBridge with DSP" from BavarianSoundWerks (BMW Audio, BMW iPod, Speakers, Subwoofers, & more | BSW: Bavarian Soundwerks) last week. It was just delivered. I'll be installing it after work. I'm pretty exited.
I purchased it with 10%, which was about $30 USD. Not a bad discount for quality product. Also BSW guys gave a code for 10% for future purchases for anyone. here is the code: E98779X538DCI8B8. Anyone welcome to use it.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 07:16 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
So how has it worked out for you? I was looking at the Grom unit with bluetooth so that I could use it to control my iPhone (without a physical connection). What Grom unit did you get that you were unhappy with? What were the issues?

Riding in style
#8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I used "BMW Mini 98-06 GROM USB Bluetooth Android iPod adapter - TRUNK(GROM-USB2P-BMWT)" with DSP.
BMW Mini 98-06 GROM USB Bluetooth Android iPod adapter - TRUNK

Installation was very easy.

I used via USB Flash-Drive, but the I did not like the menu. I was not able to use 1,2,3,4 & 5 buttons on my Navi (they were not doing proper commands) to switch between files. I would have to use button 6 to get to main file menu and scroll down between files that way. That's about it. Maybe I'm just too picky.

I guess I could have live the menu that way it was, but DSP adapter was bad (only working on 1 side), so I just returned all and purchased "DICE MediaBridge with DSP" from BavarianSoundWerks. And yes it was about $100 USD more than GROM.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, I thought I post an update. (Its a little comical). BSW's set-up also had bad DSP adapter.

However BSW offered to ship new DSP with a charge hold on my credit card. So I've been with out tunes (other than Radio) since 19th of November and I still don't have a confirmation that a new DSP had been shipping. Its a holiday week/weekend here, so probably nothing will be done until next week. Its a little disappointing, since I went for more expensive system, thinking it would be better. Oh well.

Unfortunately I can not say if GROM is better of worst than DICE MediaBridge, since I have not had a chance to use DICE yet.

I guess GROM could be a better way to go. I am pretty sure that the sound quality will be pretty much identical and GROM is about $80 to $100USD cheaper. But I really want to compare the user menu. Interesting to see how user friendly it would be compare to GROM. (GROM sucked in my opinion). For me that would be a deal beaker. So hopefully...........before end of the year, I'll get it my tunes back.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:19 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Bummer.

I was speaking with Halston at BavSound about a unit for my car, but they don't ship to international addresses so regarrdless of how I proposed to do the transaction he wouldn't budge on the international rule. When I asked Halston for his opinion on the Grom unit he said that they (BavSound) used to sell them and that they were ok.

It will be good to hear your opinion on the differences between the user interface of each unit.

Riding in style
#11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Oh wow. Halston (BSW) was also helping me in my transaction.

Yeah, it is kind of bummer, but I am not blaming anyone. I guess just bad luck. Oh well. I'll be sure to post an update after I get new DSP.
#12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Wanted to post an update...................well there is nothing to post I guess. I just got an e-mail from BSW saying that DSPs are out of stock. I was being very reasonable and patient, but enough is enough. CD to MP3 upgrade should take days. I am almost a month in to it.
I am a little disappointed in BSW's customer service. If they knew they were out of DSP's, why no one notified me.
I hope return goes smoother than purchase, otherwise I'll have file dispute with PAYPAL for the original purchase and with Credit Card for the other DSP purchase.

It seem BSW and GROM have one similarity. They both have poor build DSPs.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 AM
42, The meaning of life

So when do BSW expect to have the DSP available for your installation?

Riding in style
#14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
BSW said that it would be another 1 to 2 weeks, plus buy the time they actually ship it and item gets delivered, it could be another week. By that time it would be end of December.
I am very disappointed. I wish that BSW check their stock availability, prior making charges. I could have purchased BSW DSP adapter elsewhere long time ago and be done with the CD to MP3 upgrade.

But now that I look back, I find this a little comical. 2 different companies with identical problems. Must be my luck. Or maybe its faith telling me not spend $300 USD on CD to MP3 upgrade and just to pay $700 USD and purchase Dynavin BMW.
#15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM
42, The meaning of life

I just hope that the fault isn't in your cars system somewhere. (Just a thought).

Maybe its just one of those "all good things come to those who wait" issues. Hopefully it all works out in the end. Good Luck

Riding in style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)