BMW Werkz banner

BMW E39 BIG PROBLEMS.help =/

9K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  toml 
#1 ·
I own a 2001 BMW 525i E39

About a month ago i started getting the SERVICE ENGINE light after car washes and rain. My car wouldn't run with full power and the brakes were not working to best ability. One day i went on a 200 miles drive and it started pouring down. My car barely pushed, so after i went to my repairman. He found leaves in the box compartment where the water gets into, and is released through a little whole thourgh the bottom. The leaves clogged the whole and water got into the brakes...and even into some parts of my engine (hence my car would not run as fast). The spark plugs were all wet, so i changed them and i changed a 200 part in the front of the engine..forgot the name. now my car, supposedly, has no more water in it, but it misfires in cylinders 4 and 6. i replaced the fuel injectors for both, but i still have a misfire in cylinder 6. my repairman said i need new head brackets and a new compressor. His boss said that its a 10 hour job, is this true? How much should i pay for a repair as such? And does this kind of mean i have to sell my car, because who knows what else the water damaged =/ Im very upset, as my car works but not to its full potential, and i feel like im killing it by driving. TIPS, IDEAS, SOLUTIONS, and ANSWERS are greatly appreciated. THANKS

#2 ·
Head brackets? Never heard of them. And a new compressor would be for your air conditioning, there's no super charger on a 2001 525i. I'd have a go on the ignition system and make sure water can't get in the engine bay any more. If you park under trees, clear the leaves away more often. Might as well step up the next oil change too.

#6 ·
i would go with Dirty Tool's advise. Go get a 2nd opinion. ;)

My personal opinion is, there's just something wrong in the way your mech explained your prob to you; that that tells me that he isn't doing his job right... or he jst doesn't know even the basics of engine performance.

#7 ·
Is it just me? Come on guys, he is obviously ESL, (english as a second language)
Head brakets means head gaskets, compressor is compression
His mech told him he has a head gasket problem and poor compression.
But, how does that relate to water leak? Maybe means COOLANT leak.
Anyway, I agree:
Try a different mechanic, unrelated to the first one, and maybe ask them to WRITE DOWN the problem, the parts to be replaced and a rough estimate!?
post that and we will try to help you.
For now, try not to drive that car, it could make things worse.
Good luck
BTW (by the way)
Where are you located?? And how much do you pay for gas?

#8 ·
well thank you to everyone but Tom, who thinks he is a comedian.

my car is DONE. i was driving 15 MPH and BOOM..my tranmission and my rotor blew =/...all of the oil leaked, smoke everywhere. i need a new engine, and a new transmission. just got a bad used car =(

#9 ·
Wow.

Suggestion: google "Bavarian auto recyclers." They offer rebuilt engines for cheap with upgraded internal parts.

Second suggestion: if you have to replace the transmission anyway, go ahead and put in a manual.

#11 ·
Well, it's possible that your transmission blew with sufficient force to break the oil pan, the oil ran out while the engine was still running, and the engine seized with no oil.

#13 ·
Comedian here, That's pure fantasy, last time I check BMW had finaly eliminated not only mercury but that pesky C4 from the transmissions.
They don't BLOW UP.
As others have said, 2nd and 3td opinions please, but really I don't think we will ever get to the bottom of this, the intel is obviously corrrupted.Not being mean, I'm the comedian remember?, just that the facts don't have one or even two logical explanations
I'll leave you to this one.

#14 ·
OK, let me spell it out for you then. If the planetary gears in your automatic transmission came apart with sufficient force, the resultant vibration and flying bits of metal could have caused your oil pan to crack, thus causing your oil to leak out while your car was still running, thus ruining your engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.