Bmw E34 Alternator Belt? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Keep it Copacetic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
(Thread Starter)
Look at these two pictures. I think im missing a belt some some sort. My power steering seems to have died, my cluster shows the battery symbol, anti-lock brakes, and parking break.

Any help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02004__Medium_.JPG
Views:	728
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	20849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02005__Medium_.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	20850  

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:22 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
sometimes when one belt goes, it will take another belt with it. you are missing 2 belts at least. both run off of a different pulley from the way it shows they are lined up in the picture.

our cars have 3 belts, so you might make sure the third one is still there. go ahead and replace that one two, when you get your other 2. they are usually changed out at the same time and im sure the 3rd one is worn as well.

they are easy to change, you just have to do the rear one first and work your way to the front one.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot. By the way mien is a m20. Im mad. I drove to work adn back withotu power steering.

What are the names of the three belts?

I knew there were at least two belts cuz i didnt think a serpentine belt would do the trick here.

#4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 10:33 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
loosen "A", then loosen "B". "B" will adjust the amount of tension after the belt is reinstalled. Just go to your local dealer, or a parts place you can trust and tell them you need all the "V" belts for you car.

There are small gears (that can be stripped out easily) where "A" is bolted to, you will see them.

You will need to make sure the belts are in line correctly with the crankshaft (the one that has three grooves for belts to reside on) pulley.

Hope that helps....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02005__Medium_.JPG
Views:	1125
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	20851  

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
Alright. And I guess this is the OBVious reaosn my battery sign is up. No alternator power :-. Why my car is overheating. Poor waterpump and why MY POWER STEERING DIED....typical e34m20.

So the fluid that was leakign I assume splashed onto parts that contorl power steering. Immobilizign it. I guess these are the components in my car when they get wet in rain or after washign the carkill my power steering. Eh?

Do you know which parts specifically are related to my PS?

#6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
Ok well i took it to the shop and got all 3 belts done.

Now im stil overheating. I opened up the thermostat. Somethign is wrong. Either the water pump isnt pushing any fluid or the thermostat isnt allowing any by. The thermostat was in great condition. So i dont plan on checkign the wtaer pump cuz of location> Dropped it off at teh shop for a diagnosis.

Heres a theory. Maybe the water pump was bad int he first place. Maybe misaligned or something. Maybe then it caused the belt to be awkard adn snap, takign out te the belts too. So maybe the water pump was my original problem, and eveyrthign after being a symptom?

Maybe?

How about the fan clutch? Here could be the heating problem!>?

#7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 07:52 PM
da_administrator

Yeah thats possible. If the water pump would have ceased to turn (locked up), it may have thrown the belt.

#8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
I guess. When the belts were off I manually spun the water pump i believe and it worked fine. Any other ideas?

#9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:07 PM
da_administrator

sometimes the plastic impeller inside the water pump breaks. from the outside it would look like it would spin and be ok, but no water is moving on the inside.

#10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
Good. that's why this tiem i made sure i got a metal one. Problem fixed, thanks a lot for the help Da_bull.

By the way, what part of missouri do you live in? live in midtown st louis during the school year.

#11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 04:59 AM
da_administrator

glad you got it going. I live down in Springfield...home of the Bass Pro m :P . I visit St Louis 2-3 times a year. Maybe I'll catch ya driving around. I'll be up there in mid-September for a meet (non-car related) with some friends of mine

#12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Keep it Copacetic

(Thread Starter)
No car in st louis, just stays here in california.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)