BMW Dead - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:33 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
traveller is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Angry BMW Dead

Firstly, i am new on this site and this is my first post.

I purchased a total loss 1997 vehicle. The model is 540I. the vehicle had front end damage so when I got the vehicle I tried to crank the engine for a couple of seconds and it cranked fine. I pulled the motor and then I took it to the body shop for body repair. When I got the vehicle back I put the motor back in and hooked up all the wiring but the engine will not turn over. I have no power going to the starter. I work in electronics so know a lot about wiring, I have done some trouble shooting but I am missing power for the starter from the ignition. I am stuck. Can anyone help me - what am I missing?? My key remote works fine for opening the doors, trunk, etc. but when I put it in the ignition it will not start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:52 AM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Firstly, i am new on this site and this is my first post.

I purchased a total loss 1997 vehicle. The model is 540I. the vehicle had front end damage so when I got the vehicle I tried to crank the engine for a couple of seconds and it cranked fine. I pulled the motor and then I took it to the body shop for body repair. When I got the vehicle back I put the motor back in and hooked up all the wiring but the engine will not turn over. I have no power going to the starter. I work in electronics so know a lot about wiring, I have done some trouble shooting but I am missing power for the starter from the ignition. I am stuck. Can anyone help me - what am I missing?? My key remote works fine for opening the doors, trunk, etc. but when I put it in the ignition it will not start.
Have you checked the connections at the starter with a meter? getting any voltage? when you turn the key to the ON position, do the lights on the dash light up? Follow the wires backwards from the starter to the power source and check all the connections for voltage.

Jason / 1997 528i
#3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

Diotima has a spectacular aura about Diotima has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Diotima Send a message via Yahoo to Diotima Send a message via Skype™ to Diotima
my E30 has this quirky if not a lil annoying problem, seems dead but the mobiliser needs a shot before take off, is your emobiliser playing up too?

If you don't know where you are going, any road can take you there
#4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:28 PM
n00b

traveller is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
My first instinct was to check the starter connection, so I went under the car and unplugged the two wires that go to the starter. Then, when I turn the ignition on to the start position there was no power coming to the plug at the starter. Then i took a long wire from the ignition to the starter plug direct - when I turn the ignition on the motor turns. This makes me realize i am missing power from the ignition to the starter. I then traced the ignition black wire with yellow line (the start wire) all the way under the hood to the passenger side where all the relays are. it goes to a plug and if I put a test light there and turn the ignition on the test light comes on. At the plug the black and yellow wire turns to a lighter weight of wire. From there it goes to a computer under the hood, where all the relays are. From there I can't tell where it goes - I am stuck. I am assuming that the vehicle imobilizer is shutting the starter power down, but am not sure if that is correct or not. If anybody has a diagram on how to bypass the immobilizer that might help. I would appreciate any help - or other suggestions.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 05:17 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes when battery voltage is low or battery disconnected for a long period of time the EWS (immobilizer) and DME (engine module) need to be re-synched. Only a dealership or a independent BMW shop with a good quality scan tool can do this. I would try this before going too far.

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)