BMW 530i Buying Decision!!! PLEASE HELP...
All your opinions on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to buy a 2001 530i automatic. I pulled up the service records and I found a engine problem that the car has had, please let me know if these are common problems.
I will quote the CAUSE portion of the Service record:
1) 03/16/2005 @ 43060mi - Vanos Unit replaced, Sticking (result of vanos system frozen)
2) (MOST CONCERNING) on 03/03/2005 @ 43000mi - "Hydraulically Locked, Cyclone drew oil from pan into cylinders"
When I asked the BMW mechanics who had done a 55 point inspection on the car, they told me that this was a very common problem and that the car was very clean. One of them was actually interested in buying it.
3) 02/21/2005 @ 42875mi - "Leaking valve cover gasket"
4) 11/17/2004 @ 40000mi - Check engine light, updated DME software
5) 03/13/2003 @ 22600mi - Secondary Air Injection Faults, Valve Failed, Replaced Pump & Valve.
6) 11/25/2002 @ 16200mi - Check engine light on, CAM Sensor installed, cleared codes.
That is all for the engine, there were other minor things like sway bars changed, etc...
But what I am not understanding is that the BMW Mechanics were saying that it is common for all of these issues. I thought that BMW engines were not supposed to cause problems, isn't that what makes them so good... Am I to expect problem from the car if I purchase it? Are these common problems, SPECIFICALLY #2. This was a HUGH job and it would have cost a fortune to fix if not under warranty. The extended warranty on this car will be up in June of 2007. The Mechanics said that it was a very clean car and that they would even be interested in buying it. It has 57500 mi on it... Could a lot of these problem be related to #2? I am in Canada, and they told me that #2 it was due to cold weather. Do you know if this is a common problem... Please help me, I want the car, and I believe the mechanics, just want to be extra sure...
The good thing is that Service II has been done only 6000mi ago, and nothing has gone wrong since 1) 03/16/2005 @ 43060mi, which could be a sign that all is set now???
Thanks again guys...